2019 Myriad

The pendulum doth swing. rolleyes

if you have any '18 quivet NV, jump in now the water is warm. had one last week, was outstanding.

1 Like

All I will say is that I opened a 2018 Myriad Petersen Vineyard about a month ago, and with a two hour decant it was delicious. IIRC it’s their first vintage working with that fruit (Calistoga) and at sub $100 it’s a steal

1 Like

I had a Myriad Peterson and it was stunning (Christmas 2020 timeframe). Probably the most satisfying 2018 Myriad so far. The Quivet Napa Valley is still open for business, I think I’ve had 4 so far and I may not have enough to hold me over until the 2019 is released.
Beautiful wine, and much more open than the SVDs right now. I think I’ll be holding off on the Carter’s and Myriad/Quivet SVDs for a bit. I’ll be stocking up on 2019s most likely, though I’d love to take a trip to taste…

1 Like

Release is live for today’s tier. Anyone buying the Rarefied Air Magnum Inaugural Vintage with only 275 mags made ($595)? I went back and forth and ultimately bit the bullet and bought 1 with hopes it lives up to its name.

Nice. Order in for a few Empyrean and a G3.

I purchased it too. Obviously it’s pricey and an unknown, especially with an undisclosed vineyard source, but the track record with Myriad and Mike is there, so that gave my more confidence in the purchase.

1 Like

I just couldn’t get the Rarefied Air, I went back and forth quite a bit. I am sure I’ll kick myself, but there is a lot of 2019 wines on my list (including a lot more Mike Smith produced wines).

For this release I went with 3x 2019 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Vineyard Georges III Empyrean. Looking forward to the portfolio release, especially picking up some Peterson Family Vineyards, Steltzner, Bourn, etc.

Curious about the pricing for the Bourn, but pretty excited about that vineyard addition.

Picked up an Empyrean and Georges III along with some Semillon…being new to this I’m just trying to figure out what my taste preferences are, so willing to splurge on these types of purchases, you know, for science.

Myriad/Quivet/Becklyn/Carter are my go-to’s when I want a modern styled Napa Cab. Mike and Leah Smith are good people, and the wines, speak for themselves, IMHO. I prefer them on the younger side (3-6 years from vintage), though I have had a few 2009s and 2010s in the last 2 years that have still been enjoyable, but perhaps missing that x-factor, still very good wines though! With that said I think some of the 2018s will need a bit more time to come around, so I’ll be holding Carter OGs, LPVs, Dr. Crane’s a bit longer than normal. I am hearing from those on the board, as well as Antonio Galloni and Jeb Dunnuck reports that 2019 may be an earlier drinking–but still high quality vintage.

I have to thank Wine Berserkers forum for introducing me to Mike Smith wines, and I’ve been buying since the 2015 vintage.

I had a 2016 Myriad Dr. Crane recently that is in the running for WOTY, easily.

Glad I logged on since many emails from wineries never make it to my Inbox , nor my spam/junk folder (don’t know why).

Picked up 3 Semillions. Hope the 2020 ok.

I share that concern, but would have to think Mike (and other quality winemakers would assure these wines aren’t tainted). With that being said I’ve had 2020 Bedrock Rose as well as Sauvignon Blanc and they have been very good, and perhaps better than the 2019 at least to my palate.

I don’t think any quality winery would intentionally sell a smoke tainted wine . I just wonder if down the road something shows up unexpectedly.

1 Like

In for three of the Empyrean.

Considered the maggie of the new wine but am passing for now. Does anyone have a clue as to what the “undisclosed” vineyard is? PM me if you do, and don’t want to do so publicly. I take the oath of omertà that I won’t share :wink:.

I took the plunge on the Rarified Air- if there is any winemaker I would pay that much $ for an undisclosed source, it would be Mike Smith.

Oh come on! Those Semillions are so delicious that they won’t last that long!

Nobody knows except for Mike, Leah and maybe the cellarmaster at Envy. Mike isn’t giving it up.

2 Likes

Thanks, great info…I can see what you’re saying about the 2018’s…I recently did a side by side of the Myriad NV cab, 2017 and 2018, and while the 2018’s were big and pretty complex, I would imagine they would be outstanding in a few years.

I’ve started out with this “hobby” trying to put together a collection focusing on the winemaker / vineyards on the advice of friends and on this forum. I can’t say I’m any expert but it’s certainly fun attempting to be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea. I asked Leah about it and she wasn’t giving it up. Although, I have never had a Mike Smith wine that I didn’t enjoy.

My money is on a grand cru vineyard that had an over abundance of fruit and they had a little side deal for Mike to make a one off.

To Kalon? The old Eisele vineyard (forgot the new name)?

2 Likes