2019 Myriad

I bet it’s just the Napa Valley bottling in a nicer bottle! Just kidding! Who knows. I’m sure it’s great regardless of where they got the fruit from.

Blarm- old Eisele Vineyard is still Eisele (was called Araujo but now called Eisele). The property out front that previously went into Araujo, Geeslin Vineyard, now goes to the Kinsman Eades wine they just released called La Voleuse du Chagrin.

For what it’s worth, and may not be applicable here, a winery pays more for fruit they put the vineyard name on the bottle- perhaps this is simply a cost saving initiative in an effort to keep the price down or the owner of the vineyard doesn’t typically sell their fruit and part of the agreement was the inability to state where the grapes come from. Or it’s brilliant marketing to have people pay more for Franzia grapes… :slight_smile:

Got it, thanks Ryan. I grabbed a three pack of that Kinsman last week and can’t wait to open one in a couple years…

It’s killer, you won’t be disappointed. Look forward to reading the notes after you coravin your first glass :slight_smile:

just my 2 cents because it’s fun to do it, id say it’s from a grower/owner mike already works with who has extra grapes for wines mike already makes.
im thinking either mcgah or bourn.

Makes me wish I had grabbed more Kinsman

I wished for a case over my allocation but zero were granted.

Ha you and me both.

Deciding how much to wish on these myriads now. I wish I knew more about the 19s vs the 18s

New to Myriad… In terms of style which other producers do you compare Myriad to?
Thanks!

I kept trying to think about which sites you can get fruit from that is worthy of charging 600/magnum for. Considering a magnum of Myriad Dr. Crane Elysian would go for like 500 in magnum form.

Pick up 4 Elysian and 3 Dr Crane. Then decided I needed some more 2018 Carter which is still available and picked up 2 Grand Daddy, 2 Three Kings, 2 La Bam and 2 Carter Carter.

1 Like

2018 Elysian Magnum was $380 on release and are not readily available. WSP for the '18 750ml is $350-$400 so I’m guessing the magnum would go for around $800.

Yea but if magnum direct for Elysian was 400, RA us $200 above that. Not many vineyards are deserving of that price. It’s fun to try to figure it out.

Carter wines are fabulous. Had 17 Carter “The Carter” last week and it was great. Only thing with them is those bottles are so damn big.

Agree. I’m sure it’s great, but there are so many quality Napa options at sub $125 per bottle. I’m trying to be really picky about what I buy above that price point. Myriad alone has 4-5 other wines in this range.

Oh, I agree it’s crazy money to shell out for a bottle of wine for those of us with regular jobs. Was just putting it in context. I think half of this is marketing, a rare magnum from a top Napa producer, but I’m sure it will be great knowing Mike Smith’s wines.

I’d probably saw the majority of my cellar are Napa Cabs at this with a bottle price that is to high. Carter, Myriad, RM offer good value IMO in that high end Napa space.

Ontogeny, Myriad/RM portfolio cab are awesome value in that 75-100 Napa range. Also, Realm Bard is great.

The Carter G.T.O. is a blend of the best To Kalon Barrels, like Schrader’s Old Sparky, and sells for $650 direct from Carter, considerably more than double the 3 Carter BTK bottlings. I know the RA states it’s from an undisclosed Vineyard. Is it possible it’s a blend of multiple Beckstoffer vineyards and not just 1 SVD? Just a thought based on how the G.T.O. is made and it’s price point.

Myriad makes wine from Dr. Krane, GIII and new to the line up, Bourn. May be it’s a blend of the best barrels and possibly some BTK or LPV from the Carter connection. Not sure if anyone has ever made a blend with the best barrels from a few of the Beckstoffer vineyards but that may warrant the price tag of $595.

I bit the bullet and purchased one on blind faith and the reputation of Mike Smith. I really hope it lives up to it’s name!

B Cellars makes a Beckstoffer Heritage which is a blend from the Beckstoffer vineyards. It’s very good, of course, but I don’t think it’s as good as some of their SV Beckstoffer wines, probably losing some of the terroir uniqueness.

That was a very nice blend B Cellars made from the Beckstoffer vineyards but they don’t make the Heritage anymore. I don’t know the last vintage year but I still have two 2014’s in my cellar.

I really really wanted to buy the rarified Air magnum but couldn’t justify it. I wish I knew more about the wine and vineyard sourcing. More tasting notes and comparisons perhaps…

I did buy the Memento Mori magnum a few months back and it was $550. Dr. Crane, Beckstoffer Las Piedras, Vine Hill Ranch, Weitz Vineyard, and Oakville Ranch vineyards. They charge tax whereas Myriad does not so almost similar prices in the end…

Looking forward to a brave Berserker to pop the cork early and provide tasting notes and opinions.