2019 Napa Cab Quality?

Awesome intel. Thank you Roy and Russell! Sounds like I have to prep the bank account for 18 & 19…

All’s good here at EMH for 2019. I just pulled a composite sample last week and it is classic Black Cat.

What Roy said :slight_smile:

Regardless of 2020 not producing much if any Napa Cab, I’m stocking up on available 2018 and 2019 Cabernet as they are both A++ and A+ vintages. So far of the 2018 Napa Valley Cabernets that have been released, my favorite QPR is the 2018 Bevan Ontogeny. $95 for that wine is incredible. A lot of the 2018 Napa Cabernets I’ve had are so tightly wound up, they need to be forgotten for at least a year to shed any light onto what they’ll become. The 2018 Ontogeny is ready for business now and will only get better.

Thanks Roy!

Here I am sitting here… still trying to get allocation from Roy. I’ve recieved and seen all his tasting videos but just no wine

Bumping this. Galloni seemed to infer that 19 was a bigger more concentrated vintage than 18. Wondering who else has insight?

I loved reading the observations from Roy and Russell. Might still be a little early for me to offer a definitive comparison between 2018 and 2019. In fairness, I’ve tasted some other (growing by the day) 2018’s but not enough of Napa Valley to comment with conviction. And my thoughts on 2019 are restricted to our barrels only since I haven’t really been tasting other producers’ barrels in a year or so.

In the vineyard, I completely agree with the commentary about the 2019 growing season - lots of vigor to contend with. But strangely enough, at this particular moment in time, I might find myself on the other side of the debate with Roy about 2019 vs 2018. (Roy, I propose we resolve this over another infamous long lunch! [cheers.gif]) Our 2019’s in barrel seem to have a little more fleshiness…we like to call it baby fat…than the 2018’s did. A little more concentration, a touch less acidity. I might give a slight nod to our 2019’s over 2018 at the moment. Either way, I think we are blessed to have two great vintages in 2018 and 2019. And I feel especially blessed with these two vintages given the devastation of the 2020 vintage.

The decade of 2010 through 2019 might arguably be the greatest decade yet for wine quality in Napa Valley. Time will tell where each vintage ranks. The challenging vintages would be 2011 and 2017 although I think in both cases (and for different reasons) the wines have turned out very well. It’s been an extraordinary string of 10 vintages which I think will age well compared to the decades of 1980’s, 90’s, 2000’s.

3 Likes

Roy Piper? Did you email him?

From TRB

The Excellent 2019 Vintage

“After now tasting a lot of 2019’s, it is a better vintage than 2018. There’s a freshness there that we haven’t seen since 2016 that helps balance the concentration. A cool vintage overall, the picking windows for 2019 were very long, which gave us the luxury of harvesting each different vineyard block at the perfect level of ripeness. The moment we pressed the grapes, we knew this wine was heading toward greatness. It’s exhibiting remarkable freshness that perfectly balances its flavor concentration, and compares to the exceptional 2001/2 vintages for tannins and acidity. Schrader Wappo Hill will be wonderfully enjoyable at release but will also be an ideal addition to your cellar for many years to come.” – Thomas Rivers Brown, Winemaker

Of course it’s better than 18. People have wine to sell!

1 Like

I’ve popped some 2018’s of Carter, Realm and Bevan and I’ve found them to be consistently lighter in style than say 2016 or 2013. The quality seems high, but probably early drinkers compared to those two power vintages. I think I’m more of a fan of the “visceral thrill factor” that AG mentions about those two vintages, so I hope 2019 will deliver something bigger and more concentrated.

I’d say that I am similar to you. I tend to lean towards the more powerful vintages. 19 seems to be getting that reputation thus far. Just means more wine to buy, fortunately or unfortunately.

BEST…VINTAGE…EVER.

Really we should place less emphasis on Vintage and more on the Producer.

2011 was widely criticized early on, and still is, yet some 11’s are blossoming into beautiful wines. The 2011 Heather Glen, and 2011 Dunn Howell Mountain are among my favorite wines of all time!

Conversely I have been disappointed with overblown 2007’s on more than a few occasions. Top tier, high scoring, stalwart producers too.

I do have a great feeling about 2018 and 2019, especially the latter.

Completely agree. There was a great thread about surprising “off” vintages of Bordeaux that walked through the same sentiment. Link below. You are likely to find some gems at value prices in those.

WOW. That information is very helpful. I was already putting away some 2018’s and will now be adding the 2019’s as I find them. It is very sad about 2020 with the fires. Thanks.

Roy Piper posted a barrel tasting video of his 19 vintage and compares it to 2018 at the end. Very helpful as always.

Awesome!

Great video! Im excited to see how the 19 go overall. I imagine lots of people will over buy compared to normal given the 2020 woes, as Roy mentioned at the end. Especially given the very positive outlook of the’19 vintage.

Sounds like 19 is similar in quality to 18 but a bit more concentrated. Another expensive vintage. Oh well.

1 Like