2020 VDP Nahe & Rheinhessen Ring Auction Thread

Crusius used to be part of the Theise portfolio, but that relationship ended in maybe 2004.

Crusius has some interesting vineyards, most notably the Traiser Bastei, which is one of the most spectacular in all of Germany. You have the Rotenfels bare rock hill, below the tiny vineyard, then the road and the railroad and then the Nahe river. There are good pictures on the winery website. It’s almost pure Porphyr soils, quite unique. They also have Traiser Rotenfels, Schlossböckelheimer Felsenberg and Kupfergrube and some other good vineyards. Their style is quite clean, not as sponti-infused as Schäfer-Fröhlich, not as pure and crystalline as Dönnhoff. You could call their style boring and I’d say that they can get more out of their vineyards. Then again, I’ve had some wonderful Rieslings from them, most recently a bottle of 2012 Traiser Rotenfels Auslese, which was absolutely delicious and a very classic Nahe Riesling. I’d say their unique selling point is that the wines really speak of the volcanic soils with sufficient bottle age.

So Russell,
Which is it you got?

Keller Kabi… I ‘helped’ pick so it was compulsory to buy :slight_smile:

Dipped my foot into the auction. Got a wonderful omakase of mainly kabinetts. One wine which filled out my budget was nothing I expected…

N34 Schäfer-Fröhlich 2018 FELSENECK Riesling Auslese 0,38

Can someone shed a bit of light on the wine. Early drinker? Age like an auslese or like an eiswein…as in exponential complexity or just stability.

Thanks again SB…

Good “pick”

2002 is as far back as my Schaefer-Frohlich experience goes, and I believe that was about the time Tim Frohlich had taken over and was doing great things, so I cannot give you a super-long term outlook. But based on my experience to date I would expect his wines will age quite well. They do tend to show very well young, as well as a level above their advertised Pradikat in terms of sweetness and density. In the Spatlesen and Auslesen realm I really love them for their pronounced rose petal tones. I think you will be very happy you got them- quite honestly if I had known how moderate some of the Mosel prices were going to end up, I would have bid on a few halves myself.

Many thanks to you and others who offered commentary on Crusius. I will have to try and locate some on my next NYC trip.

Agreed on the Auf Der Ley. Killer bottle and my WOTN from the Rieslingstudy dinner as well. Congrats on landing more!