2021 Under $15.00 Wine Thread

I saw that the other day and passed. Was the first night bad?

2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/23/2021)
Another solid showing. Bing cherries. menthol, tobacco, blueberries, oak and dust. Medium plus finish. (92 points)

Still left $11.00: Davenport Cellars - Site down
mr b.jpg

Found 2016 Vallana Campii Raudi for under $14. Stupid good value at that price.

Caparzo Rosso DI Montalcino 2018 is a solid pizza
wine for 15$ [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Wholly agree with this. I also enjoy the previously mentioned Vajra Rosso.

I also enjoy the Callabretta Calla Calla, an interesting Etna multi-vintage blend. Rustic compared to most Etna wines but another great pizza wine and silly value.
A number of good roses can be found under $15 that I enjoy, but that depends quite a lot on vintage. Schloss Gobelsburg Cistercien is usually very good.
Pepiere and Landron base level muscadet for whites.

I really like Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica at around $14.00. For a step up, Bucci Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Superiore, but you’ll probably have to go up to around $20 for that one.

Vicky,

+1 What a terrific Italian white! About $18 in my area but easily a buy flirtysmile

Here’s two of my California cellar defenders.

2018 Cline Ancient Vines Contra Costa County Zinfandel. (And not because I live in C C County.) The 2016 was rated 91pts by Wine Spectator which I thought was too high. This one isn’t as sweet, is very smooth, fruity and drinkable without any rough edges. Excellent for the price. It’s only $12 at Total Wines.

2017 La Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, $16 at Costco. 91pts Robert Parker and 90pts Wine Spectator. Sorry it’s $1 over. Where will the madness stop?

It wasn’t too long ago that I could get them for about $12. I just don’t think that you can beat them for the price. When you just want to sit down with a nice glass of wine that doesn’t require a lot of thought, these fit the bill for me.

Haven’t had the Chidaine Touraine Blanc yet, but the 2018 Chidaine Tourine Rouge was my favorite $15 and under wine last year. It’s a blend of Pineau d’Aunis, Cab Franc, and Cot (Malbec). Went surprisingly well with takeout lamb rogan josh. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for the 2019.

2016 Basel Cellars Cabernet at WTSO at $14.99 sounds tempting. In the last chance section.

I see several WS references in the US for Anselmo Mendes’ Muros Antigos in the $8.50 to $10 range. One of my favorite whites from the Vinhos Verdes in its price range. Goes for a tad more seriousness and grip while keeping the Vinho Verde profile.

Tell me about it. There was only one local place to me that carried it, and it was closer to $20 a bottle.

NV Mumm Napa Brut Prestige - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/27/2021)
For $15.00 certainly not much better in the world of sparkling wine. Spice, lemon zest, floral, minerals and toast. Short to medium finish and good acidity. 90 points (90 points)

My wife loves this sparkler. I have to say for the several times I have tried it for $13.97 on sale hard to beat.

2015 Davenport Cellars Continuity - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/27/2021)
Day 1: Pop and pour. Probably will develop over time tonight. Blueberries, exotic spices, dark chocolate and minerals. Somewhat tight will do the day 1.5 later on.
Day 1.5: More open. Highly recommend a good decant. Menthol, blueberries. spice, earth, spices and floral notes. Complex wine and wonderful value. $14.00. 91 points
Day 2: Nice improvement on day 2. Savory character with blueberries, spices, dark chocolate, minerals and vibrant acidity. Hard to believe this is $14.00 a bottle. 92 points
Recommendation: Drink now to 2025. (92 points)

$14.00 but none listed on Davenport website but always worth an email to see if a few single bottles are left.

This Cantina Sociale Copertino Riserva always really delivers for me.

https://www.robustwinebar.com/2020/02/what-im-drinking-now-2010-cantina-sociale-cooperativa-copertino-riserva/

10 years of age, lots of leather, earth, and tea flavors, a bit of barnyard, and big fruit.

They could price it at $50 and I would probably still buy it on occasion.

Also second the other poster who mentioned Chidaine’s Touraine Rouge.

2 Likes

This. The 2011 is the current release and is literally $12 full retail here in Oregon. It’s the best $12 full retail wine I can remember since about 2005.

One wine I have not tasted in a few vintages is the Louis Martini Sonoma Cab. Anyone try one of these lately?

Just placed a large order at TW based on these recommendations. Thanks very much.

Vin Chicago has 2015 Bodegas Olarra “Cerro Añón” Reserva for $13.99