8th Annual Post-IPNC Bob Wood Memorial Throwdown, July 30th 2018, Salem OR

Paul’s note attributed cinnamon flavors to vine stress three times. I don’t buy that he meant stems (sorry Paul), as it seems Paul has some kind of misunderstanding about vine stress and cinnamon. This board provides great opportunities to learn from those who make wine so there’s no need to try and save face. We all have a lot to learn. Sounds like the wines were largely enjoyable for those without “supertaster” palates. Sometimes that’s a blessing. Happy to see this get together continuing year after year.

I would have expected this one to have more highlights than I am perceiving from the notes. Was the Thomas too bretty? I had a few unexciting '07s at IPNC this year, so get that they aren’t all home runs. The ones that got it right are in my wheelhouse, however.

Cheers,
fred

This event has legs. Advance planning looks like this:

July 29th, 2019 - Archery Summit (Ian Burch) - 2012 Vintage
July 27th, 2020 - Cristom (Gaironn Poole) - 2013 Vintage
July 26th, 2021 - Elk Cove (Todd Stewart) - tbd Vintage

Vintage choices thru 2020 are from the past attendee survey I ran last August.

I would like to put together a small group to help with planning. There were some great ideas from the last survey that we could put into action such as:

• More details on each wine at reveal (vs. the broader theme)
  • The acoustics in the big winery rooms are often poor, can we do something to overcome?

The growing support and interest is amazing. Despite having a record # of last-minute dropouts. we still filled every seat on a MONDAY.

A topic that comes up every year is could we do smaller events for older vintages. 1999 comes up often.

Thanks everyone!!!

The Thomas was quite bretty. I know some attendees took very detailed notes, but haven’t posted here. Crossing my fingers more come back here and share.

Crickets.

Steven
If there were smaller events, I would have interest. I would also have interest in such an event that started with Pinot and ended doing the same using Chardonnay. We have shared bottles before, so you know I do like older wines.

I took notes on all the wines. I’ll post as soon as I can get them into printable form.

Thomas Houseman winemaker at Anne Amie sent his notes as a PDF. If there is a motivated individual here who will transcribe that would be awesome. Otherwise, download and read!!
SAnnie Amie18080608550.pdf (1.95 MB)

I never understood all this let the 2007s age business. I think they are aging just fine but they were fantastic in barrel and the day they were bottled. They drank so great over the first 5 years, I killed most of mine.

Although I am on the wagon, I grabbed a 2007 Audrey for my wife to drink. Glad to see some notes. Sounds like a little air may be in order.

Jason

I agree with you, Jason. Aside from some of the relatively acidic 2007 Matello pinots which needed some time, the main 2007 pinot I sat on for some time was the DDO Laurene, which had just too much oak protruding in youth. I drank the shit out of most of my other 2007s. I just checked and I have 2 Souris mags, an Eyrie, and 2 DDO Laurenes.

I finally have my notes in front of the computer, and a little time, so I’ll make some general comments and limit comments on individual wines to what might be helpful.
At least a third of the wines delivered the best side of '07, with a captivating nose, red fruit, and balanced acidity. Most of the rest were enjoyable despite being marred by some funk, too much oak, or muted fruit or aromatics.
Favorites
• Adelsheim Bryan Creek – clean cherry fruit, lingering finish
• Antica Terra Botanica (Magnum) This was a real outlier. Unlike by other favorites, this wine was atypical for an ’07. Very dark, plummy fruit, heavy body, with earth and mushrooms. It look a long time to open, and will probably last many more years.
• Belle Pente - Belle Pente Vineyard- Perfectly aged at this point. Still has pleasant fruit, and developing tertiary aromas. Oak a bit prominent, Good acidity holding it together.
• Willakenzie Aliette (Magnum)- to the oaky and sweet side, but balanced.
• The Eyrie Vineyards Reserve Original Vines- Initial funk quickly dissipated. God fruit , excellent balance.
• Arterberry-Maresh Maresh- Wonderful nose, beautiful balanced wine
• Evesham Wood Cuvee J- assertive nose of cinnamon and stems, sweet fruit
• Eveningland Seven Springs La Source (Magnum)- Combination of floral, stems, and umami
• Matello Souris- Everything you could want in a 2007 WV PN. Clean, polished fruit, impeccable balance

The next tier- all still showing the good side of ‘07
Anne Amie L’Iris- pale color, subdued pleasant fruit centered on strawberry…
Johan Nils Estate dried fruits, good acidity, muted nose.
Cameron Abbey Ridge - not the favorite of the flight, perhaps need a bit more air to come around. It did not announce itself with the signature Cameron funk, only a hint of reduction that blew off.
Cristom Mt. Jefferson Cuvée (Magnum)
White Rose Quiotee’s Lair. Clean and balanced
St. Innocent White Rose Light, with nice citrus edge.
DDO Laurene (Magnum) Not the best Laurene ever. Burnt edge. Took a while to open
J. Christopher Dundee Hills Cuvée (Magnum) Muted by TCA, would have been good otherwise with solid dark cherry fruit and good acidity.

Wines that I would not mind drinking, but I wouldn’t seek them out

Lemelson Stermer – seemed to be going over the hill. Dark fruits.
Vincent Meredith Mitchell Vineyard Almost comes together but decidedly rough.
Stoller JV Estate - Muted and too much towards the dark side, plus too much oak.
Anne Amie Estate – Also too dark, with excessive umami
Johan Three Barrel showing its age, still holds some charm
Scott Paul Audrey (Magnum) - Started out with strange combination of green fruit and dark oak, but came around with a lot of swirling. Probably will improve, or may be ready from single bottles

Did not like

Longplay Lia’s Vineyard - Showing oxidation
Grochau Cellars Cuvee des Amis - Too much brett. Too bad, because the fruit underneath is beautiful.
Matello Whistling Ridge – No notable flaws. Just wasn’t showing much
Baptisa Maresh - Oxidized, over-ripe
Biggio-Hamina Deux Vert- Some spice from stems, bit of funk, lacking fruit.
Bergstrom Nysa – Port like, oaky.
Thomas - Way too funky

A few bonus notes on '07s tastedin the last few days.

Ken Wright '07 Nyssa. I would rate this wine above the average of the wines tasted above. Showing no bricking (sealed with Nomacorc) Correct nose of strawberries, mushroom, hint of oak. Slightly soft compared to the norm, yet balanced. Charming wine.

Patricia Green Estate Etzel Block. This is a killer wine. It would undoubtedly be in the top tier of the above wines. More substantial than most, without getting clunky. Definitely not over the hill. Solid dark fruit, trace of umami.

I think the most important note I can make is that Paul TOTALLY LOVED the Cristom before he knew it was Cristom! :stuck_out_tongue: