A.G. On 2017 Barolo

Is yours imported by RWC? Wholesale was $50 as recently as 2013, meaning $75 standard SRP. I doubt it has gone down since then, so maybe it’s a diff regional importer? In any event, great price for a great wine. Enjoy!

It is not RWC. We have a local importer.

1 Like

Travis- were they that available in Oregon ? Only one place got them in Tampa.

@Fred
Cannubi? Yes in 2015 and 2014 for sure. I think I might have seen them on an offer from Rain City Wines in Washington.

If the 2017 nebbiolo wines gives a good indication, then I have my concerns (about the vintage in general).

WS on 2016 Monvig in CT is $70

We were in Piemonte in late October 2017 and it hadn’t rain for something like 4 months. At Cavalotto, they told us that the crop was extremely small and the berries were tiny. They said that they expected an intense but very limited vintage. They said that they had records going back to Roman times (just kidding) and they had picked two weeks early than any previous year that they had recorded. Roughly the same story at Paolo Scavino due to lack of rain, as well as the other places we visited. What they predicted was not the kind of taste profile that many people here would like, but for the modernists (me), it sounded very good, and ripe enough that I would not have to wait until I am dead for it to mature. I plan to try to find some and see for myself.

1 Like

This probably gives us a better early view than anything Galloni has to say.

2017 Alessandria Langhe Prinsiot drinking well

Hi Karl,

Funny you should mention prinsiot 2017, had i it about a year ago as one of my first 2017. By heart I think I had ± four 2017, not a great sample to make a judgment, I know but was quite conclusive.

Perhaps it was the bottle(s) I had, and favorable development since but recall being disappointed by the prinsiot. Had high expectations as my first Alessandria wine. Don’t have any notes saved but recalled thinking it was a quite undefined nebbiolo in a too warm year kind of way, and the wine started to fall apart day two. I usually find that day 2-3 things develop favorably if anything.

Also had a few 2018 of other Nebbiolo Langhe opened at times and was interesting to have as a reference (the 2018s I have had were on the other hand all very enjoyable).

The other 2017 were from winemakers I normally really like and felt similar challenges (some to a less degree though). I am sure a few winemakers will manage to bring out nice 2017 Barolo, there should be some exceptions :slight_smile:

Remark 1. All the 2017 Langhe Nebbiolo I had was during first half of last year.

Remark 2. Loved Alissandria’s 2015 Barolo tasted a while later, really beautiful, balanced and elegant. Convinced it’s a good producer and assumed 2017 for the was more a result of a challenging vintage.

Cheers,
Mikael

Hi,

By no means am I saying the 2017 Prinsiot is earth shattering.

2010 Alessandia Gramolere and other Barolo from that vintage and producer are miles away better, if still young. Different vintage I know but the point is I’m really not trying to compare the two, which is why I bring up a wine of different quality.

Could it be more defined. Sure. And I have opened corked bottles but that’s not the wine’s fault.

My point more specifically elucidated is it’s a fine wine for the price and vintage.

Haven’t tried any on day 2.

1 Like

What score would you give it after having tasted it? Is his tasting note also wrong?

Is that what it took to challenge his credibility? Maybe…
Of course, all this depends not just on one’s perspective, but also on one’s interpretation of credibility, all very subjective and personal matters… but to me this bloke has been highly suspect since the days of the Piedmont Report.
Not fair to pan him, though. Guy’s just trying to eke out a living like almost everyone else, I suppose…:joy::joy::joy:

He has been a bit tough on that producer, especially compared to other critics, over the last 5-10 years. He feels strongly that there has been a downturn in quality coming out of there. Other critics don’t really seem to feel that way and this has been discussed in this forum before. IIRC, a lot of people here think the truth is somewhere in between.

And a lot of people, notably in Italy, most of whom know these wines a damn sight better than Galloni, feel that this whole thing is an XXL straw man and that Galloni, not to put too fine a point on it, either has no idea what he’s talking about or… well :sunglasses:
Don’t kill the messenger…:joy::joy::joy:

Imo it takes a lot of guts to criticize Mauro mascarello and especially CA di morisso . Of course it could always be a matter of taste. :grin:

AG was an early admirer of the wines of Mauro and championed the Monprivato and Ca d’Morissio in rave reviews before other critics caught on. I remember a fascinating history and retrospective tasting he did some years ago on the Ca d’M.

So what’s changed: the quality of the wines or his relationship with the family? It seems you are suggesting the later.

I think what you should expect from a critic are carefully considered, unbiased opinions. That’s what I, our team, and all serious critics strive to provide.

With regards to the Mascarello wines, I have been buying them since the mid 1990s. Have frequently tasted them back to the early 1960s, when Mauro’s dad made the wines. I personally own every vintage of Monprivato from 1989 to 2008 and Ca’d Morissio from 1993 to 2008. It is my view that quality dropped off sharply starting in 2009. When a well known wine/estate doesn’t show well I always make a point of tasting the wines more than once, often with a good amount of time in between tastings. It is also my view that some, not all, some, critics hesitate to criticize well known estates because they don’t want to deal with the fall out. Its a perfectly rational position. I am not capable of that. Our readers will always know exactly what I think.

The life of a critic…when the scores are high its hype, when they are low you don’t have a clue :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you, Antonio, for that measured response. I’m certainly glad that I purchased many of these wines in those vintages, based largely on your reviews!

Not quite… quite often “you don’t have a clue” covers both scenarios [cheers.gif]