A question for Burgundy lovers and all others

So you didn’t read the currently running Marcassin thread, or just about any other Marcassin thread that gets started??

agree with that.

the most consistant red wines in France are Rhones,
then Bordeaux
then a far distance
to Burgundy.

My hugest disapointments with expensive bottles have been with Burgundies - unfortunately also my most memorable ones flirtysmile

What Howard said.

The yields alone would tell you that…

I’m not trying to take sides on this, but there are huge numbers of posts on here declaring that every California, Italian, Spanish, Bordeaux, Australian, Washington, etc. wine perceived to be in a riper / more modern style are rocket fuel, cough syrup, point chasing, designed for people who grew up eating McDonald’s, belong on pancakes, blueberry vodka milkshake, sheep following Laube/Parker, etc.

The comment doesn’t usually come with a specific preface that “I am a Burgundy lover, and this is my opinion,” but those comments outnumber the anti-Burg snipes by a wide margin on this board, at least from my observation. I’d say 10-to-1, at least.

But that that is not a regional preference but stylistic one. Personally I like non-fruit bomb wines from many, many regions. While I buy my share of Burgundy it’s probably only around 1/3 of my cellar. And I wouldn’t trade the other 2/3 for more Burgundy.

I tend not to read Marcassin threads. Never had the wine, so don’t have much to say one way or the other about it.

Gerhard, Not the same issue. There is a difference between saying it is not good QPR and saying that Burgundy produces more bad than good wines.

:frowning: That’s fair and is a reasonable approach for you. But you opined that Burg people don’t make indictments on threads and in fact such is right there in the Marcassin thread .

I personally know Michel and I can assure you he is no troll. Seems to me he was reacting to some Burgucenrtic comments on the Marcassin thread.

I think most burg lovers have drunk across the board and have had a love of other regions prior to arriving at burgundy, and for certain wines from these other regions still do have a love, I certainly drink a lot from everywhere - Alsace, Germany, Rhone, Piedmont - I had a 09 St Cosme Gigondas le Claus this week which was great and was exactly what I felt like on Tuesday.

One ends up in burgundy by default, on a pricing level there is no logical reason to prefer burgundy so it is a real love, not price driven.

Typically it is the other way round with others putting burgundy down, RP for instance, so the natural reaction from burg lovers, who have moved from other regions and typically have a good knowledge of them, find it easy to counter these criticisms of burgundy with better authority. I think this is what is misread and upsets people who have not yet managed, for whatever reason, to fully appreciate and discover burg.

Cheers Mike

Interesting thread. I’m struck by the original proposition (“I am trying to understand what most of the people who communicate about Burgundy feel the need (or just do) put down most if not all other wines”) because it is so different from my perception of what is happening on this board. I’m a burgundy lover who doesn’t really drink anything else. But I read a lot of the other threads and try to participate if I think I have something useful to say. I’m always amazed at the depth of interest in other wines that burgundy lovers show. Berry Crawford, for example, posts about roses and other wines with which I’m completely unfamiliar. Howard Cooper has a great love for reisling. Jeremy Holmes posts on lots of varietals, including Aussie wines. Alan Weinberg drinks muscadet. I know those guys love burgs, but they also spend a lot of time seeking out other experiences. And I can’t recall any of them ever being condescending or demeaning to non-burgundy drinkers.
A

I am not at all familiar with these threads. Is it one person or multiple people. Can you post a link and a post number? I really have no idea what you are taling about.

Now as for threads where I (and other Burg lovers) praise other wines see

I am sure I could go on for a while.

I guess I am the rare Burgundy lover who also loves Napa Cabs and ripe S. Rhones but I want my PN more restrained.
A friend CAN’T WAIT to pour me his Marcassin.
Any recommendations on how I can build up tolerance/immunity? [berserker.gif]

You forgot love .

But seriously, I think it’s a stylistic issue with Burg drinkers rather than a regional issue. Remember that anti-Parker, anti-flavor thingy? Personally, I want wines with balance. Can balance be achieved with higher abv and riper fruit? Certainly.

John, I just re-read that Marcassin thread, looking for the offending posts, and I didn’t find any. Perhaps you could be more specific about the “indictments” that are there?

Lew, he must be referring to John Langniappe’s posts, wherein all he does is state that he’s purchased Marcassin wines, has been allocated some more, but so far is 0 for 2 with the chardonnays. So John G. concludes in one of his posts that John L. “sounds like a Burgundy drinker.” The horror!! I guess by simply asking questions about the wines which he has been allocated, John L. has made an “indictment” against Marcassin. Seems a bit thin-skinned. John, I read through the entire thread and I really didn’t see anything offensive. Did I miss something?

I think he is referring to post 33.

It’s probably this one.

At tonight’s tasting, had 5 different Kosta Browne pinots and 3 Anthill Farm pinots, all 2010’s. the Anthill wines were mediocre at best, the Kosta Browne wines were sweet and candied on the palate. I wouldn’t buy the KB’s at $8.90 per bottle, let alone $89 per bottle. Why am I saying this on a Marcassin thread? I have been on their list. Some people like big, sweet pinots and they are blown away by intensity and concentration of fruit and heady aromas even if the wine lacks of elegance, balance, acidity,minerality. Others, myself included, appreciate these latter qualities, tend to favor Burgundy, and most enjoy those domestic pinots that offer those qualities…even if these wines are not necessarily Burgundian, they appeal to those who seek those qualities in all their wines. Someone in my tasting group enjoys big pinots, has not found one yet that he thinks is too high in alcohol (just under-fruited), and still drinks Zins. He will not appreciate why I don’t like these wines, and he will not understand what I see in Burgundies that make them worth seeking out. So be it.

But certainly, almost any thread about Sea Smoke, KB, QC and so forth is littered with them, and usually a lot less respectful in tone than this one. I could dig around for a bunch of links, but it’s not necessary, everyone in this thread has seen them countless times.

As a Burg guy who also drinks very widely (think pretty much anything with an alcohol content), all I can say is that I feel as if I have no need to bash anything else.

I already know that the best of Burgundy is absolutely as good as it gets, and the truly great Burgs (of both colours) are incomparably good…

A lot of people who seem to bash Burgs. haven’t ever had and tasted wines that are anywhere near the pinnacle, thus they just don’t get them.