A wine list

Cheap compared to Australia?

2015 Clape Les Vin des Amis at a hundred bucks doesn’t seem unreasonable. Bartolo Mascarello '11 and '12 are just slightly over wine-searcher average :slight_smile:. Makes me wish I had more eclectic and varied experience with Italian wines.

Absolutely!

It goes further than this. I have only gone to this restaurant a couple of times. If the wine list was better priced, I would have been there much more often.

1986 Meyney for $160.

Boom. Thank me later. That was easy.

“When in Rome do what the fvck you want anyway”

Bordeaux usually seems like the most unreasonable section of a list like this, didn’t even make it that far. Nice find!

veni vidi vici

1 Like

2015 Zenato Amarone Classico @ $140. Good producer and a very good year.

2015 Burlotto Cannubi for $235 is not terrible considering current prices and relative to the other prices on this list. Still more than I would want to spend. ‘86 Meyney is a good find…

Hahaha. I have a friend who is often comped on food there but he has to pay for the alcohol!!

Very nice list. Not that cheap compared to Australia. Dujac CdLR for $1900 or so is up there.
The 98 Penfolds St Henri might be the best buy though!

I stopped in there on a whim with a friend. Turned out to be an expensive whim. But if you go to the “by the glass” part of the wine list, they have full bottles there too that aren’t wallet crushing. They aren’t life changing wines by any means, but most are perfectly fine.

I agree that prices for recent vintages are about 3x full retail. That’s not out of line with what I see at comparable restaurants. Some of that is masked because so many of the bottles are old, and prices are raised accordingly. It reminds me a bit of going to Bern’s.

I do agree with PHUFF. The wine is an important part of the meal for me, and I’m not going to pay the prices they charge for their old wines. So I’m going to stay home and drink my old wines there, or go to a restaurant that either has much more friendly pricing (sometimes hard to find) or allows corkage at a reasonable rate. In fairness to them though–I’m not their target market. Their target market is lobbyists. And those people will pay $500 for a bottle of good old Barolo.

1999 Musar at $190 is not awful, and it was in the zone when I had one in 2019 [cheers.gif]

Dollars, pesos, or yen?

My wife is always bored when I get a wine list (or better a wine book) that large because she knows it will take about half an hour or longer until I am able to make an order.

BTW: I am always stunned to see what prices you have to pay for wine especially in restaurants.

Giuseppe Quintarelli, Rosso del Bepi, 2008 - $1155!! Dear god. That’s 8x retail.
Montevertine, Le Pergole Torte, Riserva, 2013 - $1785!!!

Whatever wine you get, the food and service is wonderful there. Last time I was there was for my birthday and a bunch of salesmen from my company were at the next table. They paid for my meal and wine for the table!

1 Like

Haha, I bet most of us are in this camp!

I have a trick, if I did not see the menu online in advance, when you get there, immediately order a 375 of champagne. Gets the juices flowing and keeps the wife happy.

At a place like this I always make a decision before arriving (and have a backup). I never ever spend time with a list like this at the restaurant. Well, unless they don’t post/won’t provide the book in which case I am unlikely to eat there. Or I’m traveling. I remember the exquisite torture of the champagne list at Crayeres. Ultimately had the somm make some decisions for us there