dominus
dunn

1 Like

Ridge Montebello from 1984, 1985 or 1991
Diamond Creek 1978
Sterling 1974
Montelena 1978, 1987 or 1991

1 Like

Pre-90s California cabernet are to me the ultimate example of cabernet. The wines were made emulating the classical French style, coupled with the hot and sunny weather means that the fruit has held up much better than many Bordeaux bottles of that era. The wines show many of the same vegetal, leather, dust, and pencil shaving characteristics of Bordeaux, but much more vibrant fruit.

By the time there was enough warm weather that all the vintages in Bordeaux get sufficiently ripe (2000s onward), many of the chateaux had fallen prey to the seductive 100-point generic international style preferred by certain critics.

This is subject to many, many exceptions, and I am in no way saying that all of California is better than a particular bottle of Bordeaux.

All this said, hunt down any one bottle of those famous old-school producers mentioned here already: Dunn, Ridge Monte Bello, Diamond Creek, Montelena, Mayacamas, Dominus, etc. You won’t be disappointed. Some of these can be had for under $100 if you hunt carefully.

2 Likes

Check your private messages.

Also, if you want to get a couple bottles that are easier to find because they’re slightly more modern, yet still show some classic traits, then 1995 and 2001 are two excellent years.

Diamond Creek!

Yes!

1 Like

Winebid has lots of good stuff, for cheap.

There are a lot of good suggestions. I would add Forman to the list. His Cabs from the early 90’s are still drinking well.

Thanks,
Ed

1 Like

The best Mondavi Reserve from the1990s was the 1995, but it was an AFWE wine, not a Parkerized wine. The Parkerized vintages from the 1990s just weren’t drinking very well when I had them [honestly, the vivaciousness of the 1995’s acidity made the Parkerized vintages seem pretty horrible by comparison].

The best Parkerized Mondavi Reserve that I’ve ever had was the 1978, from magnum; it tasted like a chocolate double chocolate milkshake [in a good way].

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/mondavi+reserve

For Togni, don’t forget that he was at Chappellet for a long time before setting out on his own - maybe as long as the late 1960s through the early 1980s, and he would have had a hand in making almost all of the Chappellet wines of the 1970s [which are still almost affordable].

The longest of long views on Napa Cabernet

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/chappellet

cellaraiders has the 94 Mondavi Reserve for $89. I hear. From sources.

That’s the 1991:

http://www.cellaraiders.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=mondavi&vintage=&search_in_description=0&osCsid=cb46c980ff98a78c9af56f54c3c32651&x=0&y=0

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/1995+mondavi+reserve/

It’s the best vintage of the 1990s.

I opened a 1994 Mondavi Reserve recently at Maialino, and it was great.

Sorry; thanks for the correction. Posting from memory.

If for no other reason than that it has “pain grille.” Go get 'em, Todd

No worries. Looks like they have a few interesting years. Add Ben @ CellaRaiders’ inventory to WineBid’s handful of 1995 bottles and there’s a nice selection of pre-2000 Mondavi Reserve.

I haven’t been doing business with Ben very long, but the customer service has been top notch (and included him going out of his way to fix an error that I made). Full marks for cellaraiders.

I haven’ seen anyone mention BV Georges de Latour as another option for quality. They had a few rough years about 10 years or so ago when they found TCA in the cellar, but otherwise they tend to be solid.

I think you have to go back to at least the 80s and the 70s to experience old school aged Cali Cab. I’ve gotten a number of good ones through Winebid (no affiliation). They have some in the current auction that are supposedly one-owner from release and well kept, so provenance should be sound (again, no affiliation). Please don’t bid on the magnum of 1982 BV Georges de Latour that I’m bidding on. I’m eyeing that for a planned dinner. [thankyou.gif]

maybe some chateau montelana?

Is there any way to pick up your orders from cellraiders? I’ve always kind of been paranoid about shipping wine.

Second vote for 87 Mondavi. Really excellent considering other late 80s California cabs. Easily confused with a top Bordeaux of the 80s.