Aged Cali Cab

I like BV too, some of the older 60’s, 70’s ones are great. Not sure why but they seem to get little love here on WB. Maybe its too common, a supermarket wine if you will.

I even liked their 90’s stuff like the 1991 and 1994 versions of GdtL.

Noticed a few days ago that K&L had the 91 BV Rutherford at a low enough to gamble price.

I would hope the Georges de Latour wouldn’t be considered common, since it’s their higher end cuvee. Maybe it’s the common cuvees that make folks think the higher end stuff wouldn’t be worth it?

Thanks to those of you who introduced me to cellaraiders. It seems I will be able to arrange to go pick up my order. I am willing to drive that hour or so instead of trusting shipping.

As I am not as experienced as most of the people here, nor am I as financial liquid it seems, most of these “inexpensive” wines are beyond my grasp. I have had some “expensive” wines such as insignia, caymus ss, calon segur, pape clement, but they were all from a close friend’s cellar. When I go to purchase, I max out at about $60 at this point in my wine buying career.

So at this point, I’m leaning toward a few bottles they seem to have:
1995 Dunn Napa
1984 Conn Creek Reserve Cab
1990 or 1984 Mondavi Res
1994 Silver Oak Alexander Valley
1995 Frias Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve
1992-95 Inglenook Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon

Has anyone tried any of these?

Jerome, about 18 months ago I had a 1995 Mondavi Cabernet (not the Reserve) and it was still in excellent shape and not fully mature. As I recall, the price was about $45.

The last Silver Oak AVs I had were '95 and '99 a couple years back and they were over the hill. Maybe I’m wrong, but the Inglenook seems like it would be a poor choice too. Frias is pretty bold with fruit when young so it might be a very interesting selection - make sure it’s from Spring Mountain. Obviously the first three would be the best calls from the recommendations already given in this thread… expect the Dunn might not be ready yet. [wink.gif] Why not buy the 2 from '84 and try them head to head?

I’d go with either of the Mondavi Reserves or the ConnCreek from that list.

If you’ve had aged Calon or Pape, I think you’ll find these differ.

Had some 1986, 1996 Insignia at the winery yesterday, would highly recommend them, especially the 86. I would echo others on the 87 Mondavi.

I would definitely get the '84 Mondavi Reserve. The '84-87 stretch are all good vintages for Napa, and the wines are mature now.

Drank a '92 Stag’s Leap Cask 23 on Saturday night. It was singing, with years to go. Outstanding wine, and the wine that started me on my love affair with wine.

1 Like

I guess the '84 Mondavi Reserve will be fun, especially as I will be trying my birth year vintage. Never though I would be doing that.

Well, you’ve got a great birth year for exploring Napa Cabs. You might also seek out something from Diamond Creek from that vintage, and/or Ridge Monte Bello. That’s my wife’s birth year, so I’ve had a few.

I would look for people that buy collections that are in CA. I have had great luck with BP Wine and trust Stefan and crew to vet who they buy from and inspect bottles. I have had a lot of great experiences from 74, 77 & 78. Next good bet is 87 then early 90’s.

I would def do that, but alas, I am not in California. Other coast.

I bought a case of the 1994 Judd’s Hill Juliana Vineyard Merlot for $15 per bottle,
and have been enjoying this very elegant, balanced, mature wine.

You must try a 1983 Montecello Corley Family reserve, or if you can find old Louis Martinis, like the 1970 CS california Mountain Special Selection. There are so many cool ones out there.

It may be my Block Island house wine, this year.

I bought lots of this 1993 Napa cabernet for just $10 per bottle, and tasted one last night.
Utterly rich, yet balanced and elegant. My notes were blackberry, blueberry, tobacco, warm
earth, eucalyptus, and black olive. No discernible oak. One has to try hard to find any vanilla
hints. Chewy but ripe tannins, amid refreshing, non-tart acidity. The finish is like late
summer raspberry.

This wine has another ten years of full maturity, based on that structure, a darkly opaque
core, and blood-red meniscus.

I picked up a bottle of '82 Mondavi Reserve from Chambers Street Wines a few years back and it was amazing with a vibrance of fruit that I didn’t expect from such an old wine. Several others that I am acquainted with also picked up the wine and thought it was the WOTN for them vs. some pretty big hitters at their tastings. Seeing that you are located in NJ you should get on Chamber’s mailing (if you aren’t already), they some times will do offers of older Cali cabs and is a good source for older bottles overall.

While I would eagerly drink any 1970s Chappellet, Philip had already left by at least 1975; by '83 their winemaker was Cathy Corison. Never been able to get a definite answer as to who made the '75, which is an amazing wine, but a number of candidates have been suggested.

I was going to suggest the 1979 Mondavi Reserve as an under-the-radar vintage, but then discovered it’s actually pretty expensive—definitely more than it’s worth. Seems like the era of old California wines being comparatively good value is coming to an end.