Ah So — Ah Sucks!

Interesting. I’ve always inserted the waiter’s corkscrew straight in, then the ah-so over the top. Does putting the screw in at an angle give you better control of the cork?

I do exactly as Jay describes, which is why I’ve never felt the need for a Durand. The screw is just to anchor the cork before you use the ah-so to the job. Going in with the worm at an angle keeps the first tool out of the way somewhat so you can insert the ah-so straight down, and also keeps the first action from pushing the cork down much since the pressure is across the cork, which is beneficial if the cork is at all loose.

Once both are in, put your hand around both handles together and pull them out gently as a complete unit.

If I feel the cork slipping in, I stop inserting the Ah So and twist up slightly. Then, I continue to rock it back in and repeat until it’s extracted.

This. Rock it in and if it’s part way down and starts pushing in, twist and pull a bit then rock down again.

It lets you insert the prongs of the Ah So just a little bit further.

All of these tips on how to use the Ah So are great. Certainly if you don’t know how to use the tool, that’s number one.

That said, the biggest problem I had with it with old, soaked corks, especially the high end bottles with the extra long corks is that the prongs aren’t long enough and the twist just breaks off the bottom of the cork. The Durand solved that issue for me.

Well the real solution, outside of forgetting to bring it, is to just buy a Durand.

6782710275_1689139672_z.jpg

That reminds me that I need a second Durand. [cheers.gif]

I utilize the ah so component of the Durand, without the corkscrew, 90% of the time. And I only use it on 20+ year old bottles. If I get the slightest hint of the cork sinking, then it is time to go full Durand!

Would that then be a Durand Durand? :wink:

I almost always go for the Durand on wines older than ten years.

Screwpull worm + ah so was referred in my circles (affectionately) as the brokedick Durand.

Bravo sir!

That reminds me, I need to keep dropping the subtle hints to the wife that a Durand is all I really want for Christmas (and patience for all the cases of wine that magically appear at the house).

93 points!

Durands are good, and I’m glad I have one, but I wouldn’t buy another if this one broke. The suggestions about a worm plus an Ah-So are easy to do. I’ve even done it when I didn’t feel like digging out my Durand.

“Cork can maintain its integrity for up to 15 years.”

[welldone.gif]

This is the approach I’ve been using successfully for 20+ years. It just takes patience and practice

I could never convince myself to pull the trigger on the expense of a Durand. So I just asked for it for Christmas from a family member since I’m not one to ask for things and they didn’t know what to give me.

It’s been great. Now I’m less concerned about older corks. Juggling a regular wine opener and ah so was never fun. I’ve broken plenty of corks or had them just push in beyond recovery using the regular tools. It’s nice to not have to think about that anymore.

It should be noted that even the Durand is not 100%. Some corks are long and soft from age(wink wink nudge nudge) and are determined to crumble into your wine.