Alfert and I visit Kane (Rougeard, Beaucastel, Gonon, Juge, etc)

Man, now I’m really sorry K John and I weren’t able to connect when I was out there two years ago!

Had a couple of Rougeard on Saturday evening: the 03 normale showed much like previous bottles, eternally youthful with strong red fruits and just a hint of green pepper. They crushed it in this heat wave year. I think everything went into the ‘regular’ cuvee that year which of course helps. The 02 Poyeux was much more resolved, with more subtle earth and cooked cherries, a wine of balance more than hedonistic pleasure. I would hold, though we decanted and it was structured enough to maintain for a couple of hours.

1 Like

Damn… so many wines i would love to taste but probably never will.

Just hope my cellar has what, at that point, will be seen as great wines like these when i reach the same age :grinning:

1 Like

That is modest. A standard serving is e bottles per participant champagne.gif
The 2010 Gonon is the best vintage I have had yet
Thanks for the notes

1 Like

Kim Caldwell

Kim, you still there!?! These 05 Rougeard were your babies!! Thanks again for selling them to me oh so many many years ago!

We miss ya!

Agree that the wines were remarkable in 2003 (maybe even better than 2002) and the same in 1997. They do seem to handle the hot vintages well. It might have something to do with long élévage in that cold ass cellar. They did make all 4 wines in 2003 (3 reds and a white) and the Bourg may well end up immortal.

I’ve only had the Les Poyeaux 02 and 03 side by side once, but preferred the 02. Such a classic vintage.
Amazing the quality of Rougeard in 2003. I’m really not a fan of much else from that vintage in Chinon.

I thought I would prefer 2002 as well, but the depth of fruit of the 2003 can be intense. I can’t remember the last time I had them side by side though. I did think Croix Boissée was great the last time I had it, but that was 7 years ago. I have one bottle left waiting for a big vertical that I really want to do, but never actually do.

7/21/2015 rated 94 points: Still has a beautiful ruby robe. The palate has really come around in the last few years. This was never large scaled or over ripe in the manner of some 2003s, the terroir of Croix Boissée insured that, but it was a bit rough and tumble for a while. The fruit is joined by a whole mélange of savory and herb notes, none too large or aggressive. The real signature is that chalky mineral red fruited finish. The fine grained tannin mixed with the minerals has a mouth watering effect. Sad that I’m down to just a couple of bottles. Great now but will surely hold and even improve for 5-10 more years.

I had the 03 and 02 Baudry Franc de Pieds as well. Flip a coin there! Those were fun.

Perfect set of wines. Man, when the 89 Beau is on, it’s just beautiful in its complexity. Sadly, it’s like a third of the time (at least in the US). 05 Loire reds are really shaping up to be special.

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve never found VA in Juge (including a bottle of the 2014 in Jan) but maybe the high-toned and acid forward character could give the impression?

In any case that’s an awesome line up and I’m glad they all showed well [cheers.gif]

That 03 base was an excellent wine for an ‘off’ year.

I’ve become a fan of 2003 Loire reds (unlike whites where I haven’t had one I like). Clos Roche Blanche did great, Rougeard did great, and I opened a Baudry Grezeaux a year or two ago which was delicous.

I might be tempted to say something like “the three stooges unite”! [grin.gif], but seriously, this post makes my heart sing, to see that the 3 of you, plus Nick, were able to enjoy a dinner like this. Fantastic notes, Todd (I always thought it was “Le Guy”, but I’m probably wrong too!).

The toast I have been making with groups in the last few months is not “to absent friends”, but “to present friends–because we are back being able to get together and actually do this”

Slainte,

Mike

1 Like

I think you should have said it!

Looks like a great dinner, glad you guys were able to get together and make it happen!

Based on too many bottles, at this point my view is that 89 Beaucastel is sadly over the hill.

I don’t think I’ve had Juge with so much VA as to render it undrinkable, though it’s certainly often there. I’ve definitely had Juge with too much of a lactic note to make it undrinkable.

Had Charlie “Meats” Carnes joined us, then definitely the stooges, as he is the life of a party. Lucky that Charlie Carnes lives nearby, getting together with him and Todd in late September at my house. Fellow Berserker MarcF and some of my wine/cycling buddies are joining. Todd is down South on college tours with his boys. Seeing Jorge in three weeks. You are so right, Mike, the in-person gatherings with close friends is what truly makes life special. The wine is just a bonus!

I really don’t pick it up in Juge. How would you describe it? I had an 09 with a slight lactic note but was still quite drinkable.

Has anyone had a 2010 Juge lately? I’ve been sitting on my stash since release, have not tried it.