Alfert and I visit Kane (Rougeard, Beaucastel, Gonon, Juge, etc)

had the 03 Bourg a couple weeks ago - seems pretty well integrated now with the fruit holding hands firmly with the secondary notes except for the oak which is still fairly prominent.

I’d describe it as lactic :slight_smile: Jayson Cohen and I had an 07 last summer (I think?) that was super lactic as well which I had a tough time drinking.

I suspect it’s also what makes our views on Juge distinct - I find it a perfectly cromulent Cornas that can occasionally be very good but occasionally be undrinkable due to lactic notes, while others love it. Palate variation! I keep hearing about the beautiful acid in Juge and have personally never found it.

Very interesting - we had a similar conversation at our table. At least KJJ knows he needs to buy zero Juge

Feel like I get lactic notes sometimes in Allemand too (and Juge). usually mousy to go along with it

I don’t get lactic notes on Allemand. When Allemand is not good for me, it’s green (2011 Reynard is a notable offender here). Fortunately Allemand has about as high a hit rate as any producer I buy - which is why I buy it every year :slight_smile:

Had a couple 08s that were super lactic in the past year, which is unfortunate as other btls in the same batch (bought a case back in 2014) were fire

Interesting. Not sure I’ve had an 08 recently. Actually, I haven’t had a bottle of Allemand in a few months. I’d change that, but it’s been so fuc*ing hot…

I’ve only had lactic notes on Juge in 2004 Cornas C and that 2007 Greg mentioned. Both quite disappointing. Sad was when I first poured a sample taste of the 2007 before bringing it to dinner, it was pure fruited. By the time of dinner about 1.5 hours later, it was pretty gross. I’m now 0 for 2 on 2007. The first one a friend brought to an event in Spain 3 years ago was corked.

Never had a lactic 2014 among about 5 or 6 bottles.

A little VA is also typical in Juge, like it is in wines like Musar or Vega Sicilia. Usually less than the typical Musar. Haven’t noticed anything egregious in 2014 Juge.

Sorry to hear. I opened a 2007 two years ago and didn’t get any lactic notes - and we took our time with it, too

I have had VA in Allemand before. Ordered a 2005 Chaillot at a restaurant and got obnoxious amounts of acetone. Sent it back, and they opened a second bottle of the same for me. Less of it and drinkable, but it got worse and worse with air

I have the same experience as Jayson with the 2014 Juge, and likewise have had six. I definitely pick up VA in most bottles of Musar red that I open.

Are you guys conflating VA and Lactic?

The beautiful citrus, blood fruit acid on cool vintage Juge is what causes me to swoon.

I’m not. Different. You’d know lactic if you had it I think.

I know lactic. My sense of VA is not that. Perhaps I am misreading, but some posts above seem to be suggesting that VA manifests as lactic. Not my experience at all. I see VA as high-toned stuff almost bordering on acetone or clear nail polish. Your comment on Musar was dead on point. That’s VA.

I’ve never had that experience, I must say. I’m also not confusing lactic and VA - I do drink barolo, after all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t let the heat get to you: drink a nice syrah laughs in it’s face.

I realize it’s a major luxury, but there is this relatively new invention called air conditioning…

:wink:

1 Like

To those who brought it up in this thread, know that you have tortured Alfert, for when someone knows as much as he does, and finds conflicting opinions regarding something that perhaps he feels he might be ‘wrong’ (never actually, just ‘possible’) he scours articles and reads studies to find out everything about it. I know this.

Sigh…

That’s what associates are for.

Not for wine smartz!

So it’s been several days, and we have no response yet from the third member of your party. What did you do to him?