Always running low on Chardonnay...any reccs for an 'in between'?

Ian Brand “Jack’s Peak”

1 Like

Your best wine, has been for years, in my opinion…however, Jen doesn’t like ANY whites other than Chardonnay. Frustrating, so many wonderful varieties out there!

My Grenache Blanc has more acidity to please Todd . . .

Dude,

Serve it to her blind - you’d be surprised . . .

Cheers.

Practically begging for a Money Back Guarantee! [wow.gif] [wink.gif]

My wife is a lot like that. She loves what she likes (rich, round Zin and Pinot) but her range is narrow. With whites, she likes Chardonnay (including Ian’s) and also Riesling (loves Desire Lines and Bedrock) and some Sauvignon Blanc (she likes a Monterey restaurant wine also made by Ian called “Swing.” She surprised me by really liking dry Martinelli “Jackass Hill” Muscat and Bucklin Old Hill Mixed Whites. I use Larry’s trick, I just pour it for her blind. She let’s me know if it passes muster.

The variety that seems to be broadly liked including by non-geeks when served to them, is reasonably available and priced, and is hard to discern from chardonnay in blind tastings is chenin blanc.

I know people will harumph about how Loire chenin could never be confused for chardonnay, but in blind tasting after blind tasting involving highly experienced tasters, people get that wrong all the time.

Maybe for this purpose, a bit fuller Loire chenin (Sec) from Huet or Chidaine?

Have you tried Jen on Raveneau?

Good one. My wine loves the Chenins made by Sandlands and Rhys.

Leflaive or Ramonet or Sauzet Batard Montrachet would fit the bill!

Assuming you want to spend less than $700/btl, Ramey is the first producer that comes to mind.

She is a bit of a ‘regionalist’, too - no Oregon, no France, no South Africa…California only, baby! This is a long-term process, getting her away from the buttery garbage she first loved. I like the suggestions above and have purchased several of them already to give a go

Have you two tried Ladd? Very good quality and QPR, plus Eric’s a great guy, WBer and BDer. I’m not sure which of his offerings might be more in this intermediate style you’re seeking, but Eric could probably tell you.

And they’re from California.

1 Like

My wife too. Really turns her nose up at France in particular. Just one more reason to love her! flirtysmile

My girlfriend is open to exploring, but has has stopped me dead a couple of times with, “Is this going to be a wine you have to explain to me?”

2 Likes

Try Walter Hansel. She will probably like it better than you will.

Another solution might be to open two bottles… especially on those really hot afternoons. [drinkers.gif]

You should also try the Rhone whites per Larry’s suggestion. Great crispness and minerality at half the price of Chardonnay.

I am not really following the requirements. here, but I have never served a Ceritas to anyone who did not just love it.

1 Like

We dislike most chardonnay’s, but only two we can consistently enjoy are Montelena and Matthiason

1 Like

A bit too flinty, dry, minerally for my wife. She has more of a RRV palate as opposed to Sonoma Coast, SCM.

From most “Burgundian” to least:

1. I put Littorai in a special category of Sonoma Coast chard. Not exactly cheap but I can strongly recommend
  2. Radio Coteau has become a house favorite for chards and my wife is in a similar narrow category that you describe (although she adores white burgs)
  3. We go through a half case of Teeter Totter (Benoit Toquette’s) chardonnay every summer as a house wine. Its rather tropical but with balanced acidity, and pretty lush - a crowd pleaser

I really like Ladd - so bracingly acidic! Too much for her, I know, but that reminds me that this next Falltacular is a time to write down any Chardonnays she ends up enjoying!

1 Like