Always running low on Chardonnay...any reccs for an 'in between'?

Martinelli owned single vineyard from Ramey for $40 is a pretty killer deal. Very good wine the the $.

Have you ever tried Cameron’s Chardonnay? It’s is still Oregon (one of the originals practically), but leans towards the riper, more tropical end rather than flinty, steely, etc. Cameron has absolutely top notch vineyards and clonal diversity to work with. The wine also sees some new oak which makes it seem a bit more round and rich. I loved it more in the past than I do now, but for $20 it is liquid gold. Vinopolis still has it in stock.

Matrot Bourgogne Blanc if she’ll dabble with chard from across the pond. Pretty cheap, $20-25ish.

I LOVE this post, my friend - and we can ALL related . . . [snort.gif]

Cheers! pepsi

1 Like

i would think Talley’s Oliver (or maybe Rincon) might satisfy both of you.
The Estate is a great guilt free daily quaffer. Rosemary needs too much time for the oak

Well, the correct answer is Vincent wines from Oregon. Exactly what you are looking for at a silly good price but no Oregon [snort.gif] . My California choice would probably be Scherrer. Enough body and flavor to please your wife but also not crossing over into something that is tiring to drink.

Tom

Along this line (love affair with all the Alfaro wines here) Domaine Eden shows a bit more of an oak side but still has the underlying acidity of the SCM, still very affordable for what it is and it’s pedigree.

Yes, we visited Talley last year, enjoyed both Oliver and Rincon

Does the two of u have to drink the same chardonnay?

Can u open a mix of bottles. Put them in 8oz vials. And enjoy mix and match over a few days?

Taking away bottle/ label, is her palate so tuned she will really dislike an oregon or burg?

+1 on Vincent’s Chards, especially when you consider the QPR on his basic tardive.

Also I’d suggest trying across the Liquid farm lineup - I find Golden slope definitely on the richer side, white hill on the opposite end being more chalky mineral/Chablis-like, and La Hermana striking a nice balance with richness but enough freshness and lift to please an Oregon leaning palate.

Believe it or not…give the 2018 Sterling Vintner’s Collection Chardonnay a try. It is not a wine I would normally seek out, but my wife and I went to a concert recently here in NJ at a venue with table seating. The wine list was very weak, so instead of burning $$ on a $60 bottle I probably would not really enjoy, I ordered a bottle of the Sterling for like $29. I was pleasantly surprised! It is a middle of the road Chard, not too oaky or rich, but with a nice spine of acidity. It is made from Central Coast grapes, so a bit more “cool climate” in profile. And you can get it for around $10/bottle, so great for everyday drinking…

[/quote]

Matrot Bourgogne Blanc if she’ll dabble with chard from across the pond. Pretty cheap, $20-25ish.
[/quote]

I’d second this one, it keeps me happy without stumbling into cougar juice territory, and her happy since it isn’t all acid and minerals.

• 1 for Kumeu River, but has to be estate or SVD.
    +1 for Liquid Farm Golden Slope

I’ve never tried Rivers Marie but looking forward to tasting it in August (woohoo!!!)

While I like them, I don’t think Vincent’s Chards have that oaky, buttery thing going on at all.

If Todd were smart, he would say “Honey, it’s time to cut back on the wine budget a bit, so we just need to drink what we have for a while.” She’ll get weaned off the butter bombs in two months and then she’ll be asking for tangy OR Chards [truce.gif] .

Fort Ross makes a wine called Sea Slopes (probably same source as the Ramey mentioned) that was $20 on sale in Minneapolis but have not been able to find it in a while. Excellent value.

Lioco?

There’s the Sonoma Coast for $25ish.

Marshall, not buttery or oaky at all but the Vincent “Tardive” has a distinct creaminess (along with the gorgeous fruit) that I think Todd’s wife would appreciate. Beautifully integrated note that makes Vincent’s Tardive bottling special.

Tom

Everyone gets different things, or maybe my palate is screwy, but we just had the '17 Vinnie Tardive (what he should call it) over the weekend, and I found it more racy and juicy than creamy.

I’d agree with Chris that Cameron’s WV Chard would be a great suggestion, as it’s a bit richer and creamier than Vincent’s, while still maintaining enough acid. I had heard at one time that this is where John Paul puts his new barrels to season them, so it could have the right toastiness to it, too. But apparently Todd’s wife has something against Oregon. [snort.gif]

No no, your palate is not screwy, I fully respect your notes. I think vintage has a lot of say in the profile. Several 2018 Vincent Tardive bottles had that distinct creaminess, a couple of 19’s had it but far less which gave it a much more racy profile as you mention. Have not had any 17’s.

Tom

Yalumba Y series Viognier. Nice florals won’t break the bank.

I like the Raveneau suggestion, there’s a good house wine.

I have a friend whose nickname is the Chardster because she loves Chardonnay. But she has a very good and broad palate and is pretty geeky about wine. She detests Chenin and Rhone whites, btw, so those aren’t very similar according to her palate.

-Al