Always running low on Chardonnay...any reccs for an 'in between'?

Tom, that’s my thought - the Vincent Tardives have a distinct creaminess of texture that makes it a crowd-pleaser, even for those drinkers that make scrunchy faces when facing a more acidic wine.

Marshall, I may be misreading into Todd’s original post, but it didn’t strike me that his wife liked oaky butter bombs, or they wouldn’t have been drinking Dehlinger. And if Todd is looking for something that is on the less-fat side of Dehlinger, then Vinnie Tardive might fit the bill for him!

That reminds me of something Morgan Twain-Peterson said in one of his podcasts… It was something like, his wife didn’t like Chardonnay, and he poured some Meursault Perrieres (maybe Lafon?) and she was like “oh that’s good we should drink it all the time”. I’m probably completely misremembering / mangling the story but if so, MTP can correct me.

Half bottles. Get her a 1/2 of Kendall Jackson and you can drink from the 1/2 bottle of Raveneau.

Mt. Eden, Stony Hill (but with the caveat that I have not had it since it was sold), Ceritas.

If you want to try her on French wine, I recommend Bouchard. Richer wine, some new oak, but still really good. Love their Meursaults.

I haven’t seen Kistler mentioned. My mother-in-law loves their Kistler Chardonnay Les Noisetiers. Some others I’ve liked:

Lioco Chardonnay Sonoma County
Varner Chardonnay Spring Ridge Vineyard Home Block
Hanzell
Kelham Vineyards Chardonnay

Chanin and Peake Ranch from the SRH should fill the bill.

They are closer to home than Sonoma, and both are well worth a visit.

Er why? Less fashionable parts of France and South Africa have some good values. I’d also suggest Ontario but likely hard find south of the border.

+1 with Ben’s suggestions. Recommend Peay with age or without. Sonoma coast. Possibly Joseph Phelps pastorale, failla, Aubert and Kistler. Cakebread and Shafer.

The Raveneau suggestion was meant as a joke given what even the lowest end bottles go for.

This story about introducing the missus to top end white Burgs and having them want nothing less is not uncommon. I’ve heard it more than once.

I have had this a couple of time with my daughter and a nephew. Did not like Chardonnay until I opened a Sauzet.

2019 Failla Chardonnay Sonoma Coast

Oh, this is a good suggestion.
And +1 to the Chanin suggestion upthread with the caveat that their Bien Nacido is probably closest to the profile Todd has mentioned.
Because the Alfaro Trout Gulch was such a hit, I bought out the Ceritas version, expecting it to blow the cheaper wine away. Nope. Just different, and both Sara and I preferred the richness of the Alfaro that night.

Wife’s med well steak, my rare steak. Wife’s buttery chardonnay, my Chablis. Wife’s down comforter, my thin blanket.
After 51 yrs we have found a way to " have what you REALLY want." Two bottles enjoyed over 2-3 meals doesn’t seem like a high price to pay.
WGJ

2 Likes

My experience with them is pretty small, but the couple of Ladd Cellars chards that I’ve had would seem to fit the bill.

1 Like

Todd, have you had Ferren?

Au Bon Climat or Calera might fit the bill.

Came here to say this is my choice for that walking that both sides line.

This thread is a good example why any attempt to control or reduce the number of bottles in your “wine cellar” is very difficult. I have already put together a possible mixed case based on some of these suggestions. Thanks a lot , Todd!
[berserker.gif] [dash1.gif]

I haven’t tried it yet, but in the papers the no-malo Stellareese 2018 Moon Mountain Chardonnay offered in BD12 should be a good match for the profile you are looking for. [cheers.gif]

Brewer Clifton’s SRH bottling would seem to fit the desired profile. I can regularly find it sub $30 in Chicago and it is a very good value at that price.

Great value call it is Jack’s Hill from Ian’s P’tit Paysan label very mineral driven for a wine from Monterey and really good for about $20. A bit harder to find and $10 more but worth looking for is the I Brand & Family Escolle Vyd from SLH surprisingly bright and crisp for the area.

1 Like