American Cancer Society - no drinking allowed

I know that an anecdote is just that and nothing more but here goes. The only constants in my father’s diet were two fried eggs and as much bacon as humanly possible every morning and two Manhattans every night. Perhaps that killed him as he died two weeks ago … seven weeks shy of his 103rd birthday.

My experience exactly.

RIP

I see dead people.

I drink to prevent cancer

I drink to forget cancer.

…It just SEEMS longer

1 Like

[cheers.gif]

The fact is that virtually any diet can be effective for weight loss provided 3 things are true:

1. It creates an energy deficit.
  2. It does not create a damaging hormonal situation, such as insulin resistance, which can heavily impact how calories are burned versus stored.
  3. It is sustainable, which will vary quite a bit from person to person.

The part where the science gets very flimsy is the claim that limiting red meat and eating plant based is the “best” or “healthiest” diet.

I’m also a cancer survivor. Stage 3 intraductal carcinoma, a rarer, more aggressive form of prostate cancer. It didn’t spread to the lymph nodes because I had the largest prostate the surgeon had ever seen. The tumor had too much tissue to work through. Surgery was last July. I was the talk of the Urology staff! No radiation or chemo. My PSA levels are imperceptible. Yes, I know I’m very lucky.

My surgeon never mentioned cutting out alcohol. In fact, I found out he liked wine so I gave him a nice bottle of Burgundy as a thank you!

I’m only about 10 pounds overweight which I consider pretty good at the age of 66. Blood pressure and cholesterol are normal. I eat a fairly balanced diet although I have a fondness for pretty much anything with the word “pork” in it.

Me too. The one thing I have done since my surgery is cut out all sausage and bacon. Almost four months now. Will keep it up as long as I can stand it.

I’d say we have bacon only 3 times during the month. A friend in my Zoom wine group is very well connected with a market where he can easily source Kurobota and Sakura pork. He buys whole racks (8 chops) and divides them up. He even vacuum seals in 2 chop packs. The Sakura is flippin’ amazing. Those have been my downfall. He also cures his own tesa and guanciale.

I love the philosophy of your approach.

After thinking it over, I am prepared to accept a relative risk of 2.0.

I am, therefore, entitled to 9 drinks a day! No way I could maintain that pace but nice to know.

Got my first blood test results since I started intermittent fasting in January. Triglycerides down over 50%. Fasting glucose down 15%. HDL up 10%. All other blood levels at or below mid points. All this along with losing over 13lbs from an otherwise lean body. I am sold on it and I don’t miss breakfast and I still drink wine.

1 Like

Ignore it. Any studies cited in the mainstream press should be ignored until a better one comes along.

I’m still recovering from the punch in the gut that is Andrew Huberman’s podcast on alcohol and its health effects. Having found it to be impeccably explained and highly persuasive, as well as thoroughly researched (for all I can understand as a layperson) I would highly encourage you to sit out for the whole two hours. I believe the comments on the video speak for themselves. The cancer issue is one of the many ones that are approached, and with dire numbers.

1 Like

I know two people that never or barely touched alcohol in their life but got cancer so this study is wrong.

1 Like

I’m still head in the sand and fingers in my ears about it. Is it going to change your wine habits?

I like that he comments on how to possibly offset some of the cancer risk by loading up on B vitamins (esp B12). Didn’t read the hangover section, but the blurb tells me everything we’ve known for a while - electrolytes.