Announcing the Launch of To Kalon Vineyard Company

Any idea what UC Davis does with their To-Kolan plot?

I like your style

1 Like

Huh. That’s a blend you’d expect from Sean Thackrey, maybe. [snort.gif]

Wonder where the Pinot Noir is sourced from? Some of the vineyards Mondavi gets its fruit for its Reserve Pinot? Certainly not To Kalon Vineyard yeah?

I like Cab, I like Zin, I like Pinot, I love To Kalon.

Just maybe not all mixed together. I’ll let someone else spend their hard earned hundred dollar bills on this one. Hopefully they aren’t trying to emulate something like the Prisoner by making this odd mix of varietals.

Sounds awful if not scamish

+1, F those guys

1 Like

Went to visit their site… clicked on Shipping Information (To Kalon Vineyard Company | Napa Valley's Highest Beauty) and was led to this:

“The Prisoner Wine Company is licensed to ship wine to the following states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NM, NY, NV, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI, and WY.”

Are the “labels” now merging?

wow what a joke.
Screenshot 2019-09-19 16.42.42.png

[popcorn.gif] This should get interesting…Constellation found a $200 home for some of their declassified Zin and Pinot?

Did they actually cut and paste from another website?

I compared the 2 shipping pages. they are the same with the exception of the CSS (font, color, formatting, etc.).

Good lord…

Unless it becomes classified as a Board Darling, I’m not buying.

I genuinely don’t know the answer to this - do other high-end Napa cabs blend with pinot?

The website now says “98% Cabernet Sauvignon, 1.5% Cabernet Franc, .5% Mixed Varietals”. Maybe they copied the blend from a Prisoner wine and forgot to update that too…?

1 Like

That blend makes more sense.

I have a feeling Wine Spectator is going to have a hard on for this one.

That makes a lot more sense. But still, it just shows how unprepared the website it. They shouldn’t have updated without getting all these small things down.

1 Like

No doubt. It’s embarrassing. Probably lost a lot of potential customers who saw that blend and won’t be back.

Wine Spectator is loving it :joy:

From today’s WS Insider 97 points :
(A large wine, with a dense, layered core of black currant, blackberry and fig fruit paste flavors, steeped with sagebrush, tar, loam and tobacco accents. A bolt of warm cast iron runs through the finish, providing structure and support that should allow this to cruise for two decades in the cellar. A terrific combination of intense, modern, clearly defined fruit, with an old-school grounding in terroir. Best from 2025 through 2045. From California.—

J.M. Senior editor James Molesworth says: “Constellation Brands owns the parcels in the famed To Kalon Vineyard formerly owned by Robert Mondavi Winery, home to some of Napa Valley’s most prized Cabernet Sauvignon vines. Constellation tasked winemaker Andy Erickson of Favia (who also consults at Mayacamas, Dalla Valle and others) with making a small selection of the vineyard’s best fruit for this small-production bottling. This is an impressive debut release for this new project, which takes after the 19thcentury name, To Kalon Wine Co.”)

The wine is available for order. $200/bottle.

Anybody buying?