Another Flannery PSA

$22 price point on the hangers is a stupidly good deal.

30% off ribeye?
yes please

20190829_194019.jpg
Set for a bit. Truly my favorite steak.

1 Like

Sigh, you people.

I still had steak left from Berserkerday I certainly didnā€™t need to order 2 ribeyes and 2 hangars. And yet somehow I didā€¦

Iā€™m going to let you all in on a secretā€¦lamb saddle from flannery.

And we have enough wine in our cellars and continue to buy that as well.

Just ordered a coupleā€¦

Same here and I went in for more! flirtysmile

Action shot!
15B7AD07-0F7F-4985-8FA3-8D04A079A1F6.jpeg

Somehow our dinner of 4 adults and 3 little kids finished a 2.5 lb one. Salt pepper and 10-year-old rental house rosemary, olive oil, for about 1 hr on indirect heat in a 350ish grill.

I showed my wife the sale.
She immediately cleaned out the freezer to make space.
I donā€™t deserve her.

Dragged my feet and missed it. Oh well, get em the next time around.

Ordered the Petite NY strips on sale to boot and shipped frozen

My order had a lot of brown. Is this normal? The steaks were shipped frozen, but arrived thawed. The foam was detached on one side. The ice packs were still frozen.

Theyā€™re dry aged, they come a shade of brown. They are shipped fresh, not frozen. Your steaks will be fines as long as the vacuum seal is not broken and leaking.

Anton,

Love this story. My wife and I made a decision to move back from NYC to the town where we grew up when my wife was pregnant. Both my parents and my in-laws still live in town. Itā€™s been an absolute blessing for my two girls (now teenagers) to grow up and have their grandparents in their lives. To top it all off for the past five years, weā€™ve taken a great family vacation together (my family of four, parents and in-laws). Weā€™ve been to Israel (2x), Amsterdam, Italy, and just two weeks ago, Spain.

Our parents are relatively young and in great shape. Being around family and being heavily involved with my kids has really helped keep them young and sharp. Nothing makes me happier than when i hear one of my friends tell me they hung out and had a conversation with my parents or in-laws at the local coffee shop.

According to the website the Petite New Yorks are shipped frozen.

Not much brown in the photos posted here by others and Iā€™ve had other shipments that werenā€™t browned. I know theyā€™re dry aged and will have a darker color. I like the size of the petites and the fact that theyā€™re shipped frozen.
Iā€™ll put two steaks to the test tonight.

Sorry, didnā€™t look back to see whta you had purchased.

Quick report on the 75 day aged and 50 day aged, which we tried a couple of weeks ago.

The 75 day was interesting - very exotic in flavor. It definitely had a ā€œblue cheeseā€ smell before it was cooked, which I guess is expected since the same mold does the work of dry aging as what causes veining in blue cheese. When cooked the smell was gone and the aroma is more ā€œearthy/beefyā€ and the flavor matched. The texture was very firm and a little mealy - probably the most disappointing part. Suspect this is because so much of the moisture is just gone from the meat, which means it lacks ā€œjuiciness.ā€ Very little fluid drained from the meat when it was resting. All in all, an interesting experience, but would not buy again.

The 50 days was much better. It still had enough retained moisture that it was much more in line with expectations of what dry aged beef should taste (and feel) like. We would buy this again if it ever came on sale.

Does anyone have any information on the difference between the ā€œCA Reserveā€ and the ā€œMidwesternā€ steaks? Is it a different in aging time, type of beef? We scoured the website and could not find any information to explain the difference.