Another revolting American concoction-and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

I grew up here and I’ve never had one. I don’t think it ever occurred to my parents to give me one, and I never asked.

I’ve had the flavors together in desserts where chefs were trying for whimsical, so I can see how it works. Now, since I almost never eat anything as sweet as jam, and rarely eat bread, it’s unlikely to happen. I’d rather save my sandwich treats for other things.

I much prefer Skippy to other major brands.
I felt vindicated by a taste test in our local paper.

Mark.

I had PB&J on whole grain bread twice, at the beginning of Covid-19. It was a nice change of pace from various egg concoctions and supermarket deli meat sandwiches. Try it with name brand chunky peanut butter. The crunch makes the difference.

Nope … none of that chunky or healthy stuff. Skippy creamy peanut butter, Welch’s grape jelly (not jam), Pepperidge Farms Original White bread, side of Potato Chips (not baked), glass of cold whole milk. Heaven. The salt of the chips is crucial imho.

Is PB&J an American invention? I guess it must be.

While the ying/yang of mouth coating PB, against the acidic jam/jelly combo makes sense, let’s face it - PB&J is really only a kids sandwich, so not too surprising there’s a less than totally positive response on the thread.

Next up - do you like cut up hotdogs in your kraft dinner?

A good PBJ is awesome- The issue is there are too many folks that experience bad PBJ- Cheap peanut butter, confected jelly, inferior bread- or one that has been all mushed together in a sandwich bag…

I know it is bad with Hydrogenates, but Jif is the right mix of peanut flavor and creaminess for me- and my mom’s homemade raspberry jam on a nice soft piece of seeded wheat bread.

And a step beyond pb&j is the pb&fluff
CF27E2EC-9F11-41F6-A9E8-BCA42315CC36.jpeg

I was never a huge PBJ fan since I was never a big peanut butter guy. As a kid when everyone else was making a PBJ, I would just make a jelly sandwich (strawberry jam strongly preferred to grape jelly). Of course, at the same time, my brother would just eat peanut butter straight from the jar.

The weird sandwiches in my house when I was a kid were both from my Dad’s childhood - he would have radish sandwiches (with butter) and braunschweiger sandwiches (with mayo or Miracle Whip). Usually nothing else on them, maybe sometimes some lettuce. I will never make myself a radish sandwich these days, but I could eat one and it would be fine. And I still love braunschweiger.

And this song is dedicated to Mark G -

Grew up on it, still love it. My biggest quarantine dietary fail has been the result of discovering Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roasted Crunchy. I think I am into the fourth jar since March. Most consumption is via the random rounded teaspoon.

Dave, have heard a few people swear by a radish & butter sandwich. Have not tried one myself.

Small radishes on buttered, crusty baguette is a delight.

I only eat PBJ sandwiches now streamside when fishing. They are a perfect combination of highly portable salt, fat, sweet, and protein. My favorite peanut butter is Magee’s Krunchy from The Farmers Market. Peanuts only (no additives of any kind); requires refrigeration as it isn’t shelf stable. Buttering the jam/jelly side of the bread is essential; adds flavor as well as protects the bread from saturation. As long as I’m buttering one side of the sandwich, might as well butter the peanut butter side as well…

If you can enjoy a linzer cookie then you can enjoy a pbj. It’s all in the execution.

But what wine to pair?

I still love an occasional PB&J - it’s my go-to road food, like today, on the way to the doctor’s office (40 min away), I packed myself a lunch with a PB&J in it and was actually excited :slight_smile:

Isn’t Britain about as known for revolting concoctions? After trying haggis, black pudding, jellied eels, full english breakfast (and watching Marco Pierre White concoct 90% of the time) I’d hold that to be true but love me some good fish and chips. I don’t know what defines USA cuisine, but I think it owns BBQ(yay!) and fast food(boo!), burgers, and has taken lots of okay foods to a different level within the states (Mexican, sandwiches, pizza, craft beer).

I eat a fair amount of peanut butter (Skippy and Velvet (a nod to my childhood), crunchy always) but I don’t remember my last PB&J sandwich - must be more that 40 years ago. I’ve taken to peanut butter on tortilla chips as a occasional snack

I never did much pb&j either. Avo, cheese, sprouts, lettuce, tomato was a staple for a long time. The local store has bins of almonds, cashews, peanuts and sort of a “nut of the week” with a grinder to make butter and it’s really good. I used to make (my revolting concoction that’s not so bad), on spelt toast: almond butter, wilted spinach, avocado. It sounds gross but considering how neutral everything it tastes good and a healthy breakfast and lunch.

Yes, but did you pack it right?
CB959761-BB45-477B-B676-4C98BE9F8AD0.jpeg

For 35 years Arrowhead Mills Deaf Smith was the only PB I would eat. Unfortunately they had a couple of incidents with salmonella and the PB seems to have disappeared from the marketplace.

As an European immigrant, there are a few American classics that belong in the top echelons of any cuisine:

PBJ
Ranch Dressing
Cobb Salad
Eggs Benedict
Hamburger
Ribs w. corn bread
Reuben Sandwich (arguably in the top three of all time best sandwiches along pork Bahn Mi and the Cuban).

Fu*k me! I’m on a no-carb thing (wine excluded, of course) all of June, but this is the first goddamn thing I’m trying when I’m off the wagon! Can’t believe I’ve never tried it before! [dance-clap.gif]