Any wines you buy by the case?

There is nothing that I regularly buy by the case. I almost never buy anything that way. I buy lots of 3s and 6s. There are just so many wines out there that I want to have. Probably my only case purchase this year was 2009 Bartlett Reserve Blueberry. I think my only case purchase last year was 2007 Elio Grasso Ginestra Casa Mate Barolo. I’m extremely happy to have the case of Bartlett because I think it will age practically forever (“practically” meaning as long as I am around and drinking wine, or at least a very large portion of that time). In hindsight, I kind of wish I had gone deeper on the Grasso in '08 than '07, but it will be nice to have plenty of the '07 as it will probably have a much earlier drinking window for me.

Use to buy by the case most of the time. Now it is very rare if I buy more than 4 of anything, I just don’t have the space for it and have learned the valuable lessons about stocking up on too much of anything, if your palate shifts, you have 6-8 bottles of a wine that does not float your boat anymore.

A-

I really love all of the Billaud-Simon lineup. I find the MdT to offer the best value (hence the case purchase). I agree with you on the Vaillons and Montmains as well as the Butteaux VV…i definitely buy them…just not case quantities. Another Billaud-Simon that I absolutely love is the Blanchot VV and Fourchaume. The Blanchot is just sublime.

The same goes, to a lesser extent, for Michel. I really like the whole lineup, however, the MdT is the sweet spor for me. Especially the 2010 MdT.

Savary is fun and a little cheaper. I really liked the 2007s, loaded up in 2010 and while I like them, I think the 2007s were better because they had more acidity and cut.

Dauvissat is my favorite producer, hands down. Luckily I was still able to get the 2010s for great prices. the AOC was still in the mid 30s and the 1ers around $50 and the Preuses and Les Clos around $95-100.

Dehlinger estate and goldridge pinots, 2 cases of 2011 Bodegas Juan Gil Jumilla Monastrell, 2 cases 2011 Domaine des Cassagnoles Gros Manseng Vin de Pays des Côtes de Gascogne
Gros Manseng. The last 2 are our daily drinkers and are great values.

Brouilly Cuvee des Ambassades Pavillon de Chavannes
Cotes de Jura Rouge Bourdy
Silval Quinta do Noval

Plus the occasional Envoyer/Garagiste/LastBottle breathless hype.

John Thomas Pinot Noir, not every vintage, and I usually wind up sharing a few bottles at cost. Bought a case of 2008 Jadot Ursules 2 years ago. I can’t even remember a solid case purchase for 10+ years before that. There are occasions when I’ve assisted friends with purchases of cases for parties.

A 12 bottle case is a tough buy. With QPRs, I often get bored of one specific wine after several bottles. It can be great juice, but I find myself looking for something new. If it takes a while to find a worthy alternative, I might briefly lament not having a few more bottles of that old standby…and then something tasty turns up. There’s a lot of great wine available every year.

For trophys, the entry fee is often just too high. I sometimes envy enthusiasts with big cellars and case quantities of renowned age-worthy wines, nevertheless I’m happy enough with the inventory and dynamics of my own cellar.

RT

I have bought the Crowley Williamette Valley Pinot Noir and Chardonnay by the case the last two years, and between 6-9 of the Cameron Dundee Hills PN and Chard, Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rose and OV Zin and Anthill Farms SC Syrah, all under $25/b.

Well the good news is that those should all be some totally awesome wines once their peak drinking windows arrive.

I guess the bad news would be that their peak drinking windows might not arrive until 2050.

Maybe 2030 for the CdP.

School House chardonnay.

Usually half case is where I stop.

Thanks

I buy pretty much all my wine by the case. One bottle is a one night stand rather than a commitment.

Pepiere Clos des Briords
<---------- Baudry Rose

Rose in the summer. This year Triennes and Muga as solid cases. Add several mixed cases of Rose to that also.

Used to buy a lot of things by the case. Not so much anymore, but I’ve bought a few solid cases in the last year or two:
2010 Louis Michel MdT
2008 Pecina Rioja Crianza (7.70 at vinopolis right now!)
2012 Pepiere Briords
2010 Roilette
NV Jacky Blot “Triple Zero” Brut
2011 Ameztoi Txakolina
2004 Trinchero Barbera d’Asti Superiore

Probably one I’m forgetting.

Muscadet
Champagne
Can’t have enough of either

All these posts, and no mention of Produttori del Barbaresco? That’s ok—more for me.

Obviously plenty of things that I import and do business with.

Besides those:

Bordeaux - Boyd-Cantenac, Lanessan and still Domaine de Chevalier, but not if the price goes much higher and/or it becomes spoofilated. Occasional others of the ilk.

Domaine Eden. No point asking which.

Dan Kravitz

Forgot two very important wines that I often buy in case lots, Edmunds St.John Rocks & Gravel and their Syrah.

After today I agree 100% and move over a little [wink.gif]

A case purchase MUST be a wine I want to see age…and a wine I find to be a strong value. Past case purchases include:
2005 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulée de Serrant
1994 Chateau Musar (2 cases)
1995 Chateau Musar
2004 Didier Dagueneau Jurançon Les Jardins de Babylone
2009 Bartlett Blueberry Winemaker’s Reserve