Anyone here try Morgan Ranch Wagyu?

Nice, rich beefy flavor. A bit of butteriness. I’ve had Wagyu that leaned more rich/buttery than these, but these are very high quality. I’ll purchase again.

Sounds like these are not too fatty to cook like regular steak, is that the consensus?

Made a striploin and a ribeye tonight. Egg for about 12 min at 350 dome to 125 or so and a little extra sear for the ribeye after slicing which was a solid rare -

1. in comparison to other American wagyu I’ve had, I find these steaks to be a bit beefier and more similar to high end USDA prime which isn’t a bad thing.

2. the marbling was definitely better on the striploins compared to the ribeyes, but the ribeyes may have been the tastier steak.

3. the steaks were delicious and went very well with the 2018 dico, for which I’ll post a separate TN.

4. I’ll definitely continue to be a buyer. Certainly the price point is an excellent deal compared to SRF and HG for steakhouse cuts. I don’t think you quite get the crazy umami the most marbled American wagyu or a5 has, but more of a beefy, delicious wonderfully marbled steak that is fantastic on the grill.
    58F92040-0BDF-4DF7-99EF-B014009EE0BD.jpeg
    15CC56AA-C2D5-4CF5-AECD-0D1FFD7071AD.jpeg
    A99B0D93-786F-48C7-90D2-D235E48C9923.jpeg

1 Like

I cooked a strip loin tonight in my 1930s Lodge cast iron skillet basted with butter, garlic, and fresh thyme. I was very happy with the combination of fatty richness and beefiness and will order from them again.
BEAE74D7-4656-404B-AD68-C84000F07166.jpeg
2870B3B1-FE8A-4EA1-8AEE-98364F104533.jpeg
B3D03AAC-BCB2-4DD3-8AFA-043D620D6DA3.jpeg

Yes, I’d cook it like high end prime.

IMG_20210130_183321.jpg
Yeah, that was good.

So far all I’ve had is a burger made ground beef. I’ve never understood the point of wagyu ground beef (I never order it in a restaurant) and this didn’t change my mind. But I didn’t expect it to.

A steak is due up tomorrow night.

8 oz. burgers?

Cooked a ribeye last night. Very tender and lots of beefy flavor.

I’d definitely buy again.

Cooked a strip last night, very nice even got it to the right temp. Seared and then a low oven. Need to defrost the day before and dry the exterior in the fridge overnight. Glistened with a bit of aged balsamic.

This arrived today, with other stuff.
Morgan Beef.jpg

1 Like

Any recommendations for cooking the Bavette?

on a grill? or on a stovetop? I think butter basting in a cast iron would be nice. I also like just tossing them on the egg for 6-8 minutes.

[rofl.gif]

:point_up:What he said!

Mine were seasoned the way Dan suggests, salt pepper and tiny bit of sugar. Then I did hot cast iron on stove top (I added a tiny bit of EVOO) for the sear, then I moved it to my oven @ 430F for 5 mins or so.

I think I will get the Egg to about 650 degrees, put on a fire retardant suit so my hair is not singed by the blow back like it was last time (cost me half of my beard!); grill for 1-2 minutes on each side, and then put in an iron fry pan in the Egg with all the dampers shut down so that it roasts the rest of the way with the DigiQ probe to constantly check the temp. Then serve with properly aerated SQN or Saxum, or perhaps a Myriad Elysian.

If you really want to ruin a great steak with that glop… neener

Very glad to hear you’re up and about and presumably feeling at least somewhat recovered.

Jay I did the opposite when I made the ribeye and strip loin, indirect in the egg (no deflector, just off to the edge) for 4 min a side then 1 min a side with it cranked to 700 or so.

Has anyone tried these sous vide? I’m inclined to think that traditional high heat cooking will make all that fat taste even better. However, sous vide is the more foolproof method for me to avoid overcooking.

Please don’t…