Anyone still prefer Riedel’s Sommeliers series?

I bought Vinum Extreme 15 years ago, can practically put a bottle in a glass and its still light as air.

Not even sure they exist any more.

I just needed/use the 4… Chard, Burg, Cab, Save/Riesling.

Never let down and just work

Looking at entertaining new glass this year because its been a spell.

It definitely does. The standard is ‘fine’ and i actually use those if we’re entertaining (errr…used to entertain), but the Gold is a different level in regards to how thin the glass is and the overall feel. Def go with the Gold since you’re testing it out for your own personal use.

Excited to hear your thoughts! I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Nice post for fond memories and yes, I still have 3, the Bordeaux, Burgundy and Champagne stems and never use them. The Burgundy stem may be the most beautiful glass of all. Thanks for the mention- I’ll remember to break one out soon.

Zalto dessert wine glasses probably aren’t bad either. I use Glencairns for Sauternes a lot of the time as well.

Nice work! Just keep in mind that the glass is very light so it might throw you off a bit at first (Not to worry though as they are actually shockingly durable)…but give it a chance and hopefully you’ll dig it as much as I/many peeps here do!

[cheers.gif]

I have and use the Bug Somm glasses. I find that of all the glasses I own, they are the most forgiving wine if there is any tiny flaw in the wine. I do prefer the sensory glasses to Zalto, but have to say that the price of all these does not compare to the Grassl, which is an easy, all-around favorite of ours. Unfortunately I’ve also destroyed four of the six I bought last year. Damn you gravity! (shaking fists at the sky)

Should be deals on Berserker Day, wait for that. Sometimes really good deals.

I dropped a Grassl Cru. It broke into many, many small pieces, very impressive.

If I remember, the Sommelier Syrah were great for aged Barolo.

I use the burgundy sommelier glasses pretty much every other day - they’re my go to glass for burgundy (though I some times use zalto instead) as well as for most good pet nats, which I drink quite regularly. I also use the Sauternes glasses for most sweet wine. They’re superb- certainly the best part of master-blender Hardy Rodenstock’s legacy. Other frequently used glasses are Zalto Bordeaux, and Riedel Superleggero Riesling.

The Sommelier Hermitage glass is my favorite and agree it is gorgeous, but I rarely use it (I have single glasses of a few different somm stems from a Riedel event).

-Al

Broke two and never thought of purchasing again. I do like the Sommeliers Restaurant Series which are a lot cheaper and don’t break by looking at them wrong.

Other than making me want to give me Somm Bordeaux stems another go (for old times sake), its gotten me VERY interested in the Sauternes glasses. Seems to be quite a bit of love for those around here and we do like sweet wines once in a while!

Sauternes glasses are very nice.

Re: gg, my biggest issue with this glass is that it’s too small and i only use it for chamapagne.

I still use my Sommelier glasses but I more often reach for the Superleggero - I prefer the weight of the Superleggero.

I like the Sauternes and the Chardonnay Extremes. But I’m clumsy and break too many so have been buying cheaper glasses

Our Riedel somm pinot glasses have been relegated to the cabinet, replaced by Zalto Bordeaux which are finer and have a similar volume.

A number of folks on this thread would be well served to try the Grassl Cru.

I myself need to pony up for a small set of Conterno Sensorys. With BD looming, I’m going to hold off for the moment.

My favorite glass is a Riedel Somm Burgundy stem, I used to have a set but over the years have broken all but one - I would rather find it and wash it instead of reach for a different glass

I’ve had a pair of the Bordeaux Sommelier for 20-30 years. Used them a few times, not in the last 15 years or so. Never particularly liked them, from either an organoleptic or ergonomic perspective.