Anyone still prefer Riedel’s Sommeliers series?

Since purchasing the Grassl 1855’s, I have not used my Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux / Cabernet glasses. I picked them up a couple of weeks ago to rearrange the China cabinet, and was shocked at how big, heavy and clunky they seemed. Similar story for the vinum Cabernet glasses.

1 Like

See this is why I hate the fact that I am completely OCD with wine and stems. They arrived today and I gave them a spin on three different wines against a Grassl 1855, Zalto Burg and a conterno sensory. Clearly the Gabriel is light and compact. It feels the best in the hand, no doubt. That being said, all stems showed all the wines slightly different, both on the nose and slightly on the palate. Problem is 3 wines later I cannot tell which one I prefer. If I had to select one glass only I suppose it would be the Grassl. I should have grabbed to cru and the zalto Bordeaux but that. Would have been overkill. :slight_smile:

Ha! I hear ya - they’re all damn fine glasses and you obviously can’t really go wrong with any of them…but I’d say don’t give up on the GG’s yet. While I did like them right out of the gate, they grew on me even more after using them a few times.

On another note, we grilled up some steaks tonight so I figured it was a great time to whip out the Bordeaux Somm. Stem with an 07 Darioush cab (which was solid). These are definitely nice glasses, and while I knew they were large…I forgot just how damn big these bad-boys are! I by no means have small hands (que Austin Powers joke here), but I almost felt like I needed to use both of them and drink from the glass like a sippy-cup! Fun stems and a nice trip down memory lane…but its back to my GG’s after tonight [cheers.gif]

Very funny you mentioned this. I’ve been using my Riedel Vinum Burgundy glasses for as long as I can remember, and then I realized that I own a very old set of Riedel Sommelier Burgundy glasses !

I started using them two weeks ago, and I feel like I lost 20 years of my life using the Vinums !!
I’m really enjoying the Sommeliers !

I guess at some point in the near future I’ll buy the Conternos, or Gabriel Golds to compare ?
Which ones would you try first ?

I’m so surprised by the number of people who love the burgundy sommelier series. Does anyone else find it way too big? I feel like all the aromas diffuse away unless I pour way too much wine into the glass.

I like the burgundy sommeliers, particularly for older pinots. I dont find that the nose gets lost. I pour maybe half an inch or so. I like being able to swirl which releases a lot of the aroma. Though the Grassl Cru is also quite good. I also like the Bordeaux Sommeliers, particularly for old Bdx blends. I generally find it better than the Grassl 1855, though the latter is still pretty damn good. It is with white wine that I definitely prefer the Grassls – both the minteralite and liberte. The Somm chardonnay glasses are okay, but nothing compared to those. I dont have the sauternes glasses – may put that on my christmas list for next year…

My favorite is Riedel Sommelier!
As I said before they are a pita to clean.
That said I truly love Gabriel GG as a universal every day glass. However my family has killed a dozen over the last 3 years.
I will be buying more and expect they will be destroyed.

Yes.

No. Zaltos all the way for me. However I just ordered white and universal from one of the Zalto family members who went out on his own so stay tuned:

Zalto Bordeaux is my go-to stem for reds. My Riedel Sommeliers Bordeaux stems have been sitting for years unused — too big and clumsy as noted by others. Gabriel Golds is my favorite for whites, but I prefer a bigger stems for reds.

Interested in your feedback on these, Robert. Coming from Zalto, I can imagine that the craftsmanship is good and there is a functional reason for the base of the bowls to be shaped as they are. But yeesh, aesthetically those leave something to be desired from my perspective

Yeah, those don’t appeal to me, either (to be gentle).

-Al

1 Like

I use my remaining one. I have broken most of my Gabriel Glas and a few of my Grassls, too.

Doing some serious testing currently (since Nov) and so far, the SENSORY, seems to be the clear winner. If would have to score it on a 1-10 scale, it would be a straight 10. The Zaltos are usually between 6 & 8 pts (a tad less elegant and harmonious, a bit riper, but equally expressive), the Grassls would be around 4-6 pts (less expressive, less balanced, more acidic and less a => could work well for Napa but not tested yet) and clearly weakest (so far in all 7 tests) would be the Gabriel Gold (at 2-3 pts, least expressive, least balanced).

But it‘s faaaar to premature to draw final conclusions (so far only tasted some younger white & red Burg and younger Bdx).

Yikes! I’ve gotta agree. Those glasses are… not exactly nice to look at (and that’s being kind)

The Grassls would be around 4-6 pts (less expressive, less balanced, more acidic and less a => could work well for Napa but not tested yet)

Which glass(s)?

Very interesting! Please keep us updated on your findings.

I have not tried the SENSORY glasses (starting to think I need to), but I’m surprised by the GG vs. Zalto as I’ve generally found the opposite (I own both). I will say that I drink very little/no burgundy, so take that into account.

1 Like

Ummmm … yeah. How do you say? … Fugly.

From their website:

Beyond that, however, the wafer-thin, almost transcendent sculpture is calculated down to the last detail and created with a unique bend that combines form and function in the most beautiful way. The design ensures that part of the wine is refracted on its way to the rim and flows back into the glass in a spiral movement, this way it absorbs a great deal of oxygen and can develop perfectly.

Sounds like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo garbage to me, but maybe I’m just a cranky cynic who has no clue.

I have the sensory and I don’t like it. The opening is too big and the nose gets to airy. The grassl presents the bouquet with more focus. When I do side by side comparisons, I always end up dumping the juice in the sensory into the grassl.

We love the Zalto Burgundy! Gabriel Grassi is our backup. Riedel’s are nice to look at on the shelf however!