Anyone use Global Entry Program?

You don’t need the card unless you are traveling by car over a U.S border. All you need at the Kiosk is your passport and fingerprint. If you are approved you can use it right now.

George

Good to see TSA Pre expanding. When I first joined about 18 months ago it was just AA, Delta, USAir and United and very few airports had it. I just looked at the list of airports and it is all over the place.
I have noticed the lines at TSA Pre at ORD are much longer. A year ago it would not be unusual for me to be the only one in line. Now it backs up a bit.

George

Went from ATL to TPA yesterday and was with fellow WB’er John Liotta.

We arrived at airport at the same time and headed towards security at the exact same time.

I was through security (using TSA-Pre) and then waited for him for 32 minutes.

Well worth every $.01

Another fan here…

JD

We just got back from a family trip to Maui. Both of our kids are in Global Entry as well, so all four of us lined up with about 20 people in front of us. As it turns out, 18 of the 20 people in front of us weren’t even TSA-Pre and had to be bumped out of the line one couple at a time…

I like that more of the airlines are now clearly putting the TSA-Pre logo onto boarding passes which makes things less confusing.

I fly almost exclusively AA and they did not have the logo on the boarding pass in the beginning so it was tough on the people to prescreen. Now they do it is much easier.

The other issue that comes up is that now with Global Entry sometimes people with TSA Pre don’t have higher status. At ORD the TSA Pre line is next to the special Platinum, Ex Platinum and first class line. If you don’t qualify for Pre and don’t have status you are technically supposed to leave that checkpoint and go stand in the regular non-status line. Cause some issues now and again.

B

Tell Liotta I will lend him the hundred bucks so he can get Global Entry. [snort.gif] neener

George

In Atlanta on reentry from outside the US, this is worth something. Actually it is worth an amazing amount just to skip immigration which can be very long. I have never been in a foreign country where the immigration lines are like Atlanta. It is THE WORST. Both my wife and I got free access through AMEX Platinum. They reimburse you for it.

The TSA pre check for US flights is just a nice big bonus. It saves up to half an hour in ATL.

Delta @ JFK during peak hours in the old terminal was much worse than Atlanta (60+ minutes in a crowded hallway). I haven’t experienced the new terminal yet to compare. Delta arrival @ JFK motivated me to join Global Entry which now also includes TSApre. Well worth the small expense and hassle.

In the process now. Was waiting for new passport.

Quick question: I seem to recall that if you were approved for Global Entry (I was) then you’re also automatically approved for the TSA-pre program. Is that correct? I used the application number for the GE program as my Known Traveller number in my Delta profile so I’m curious if I’ll get pre-check on my next flight.

application #? or the code on your card?

No, they are separate programs. They are not fully interchangeable, although USUALLY your Global Entry number will work. You won’t know until you print your boarding pass.

All TSA Pre-Check flyers, whether Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check only, are randomly kicked from Pre-Check on flights in order to keep everyone honest.

This has happened to me before which caused me to miss my flight. It sucked bigtime.

OK thanks, I haven’t received the card yet, so once I get it I will update all my airline profiles with that number. Cool.

I don’t recall needing a card for anything (was used for foot and driving across US border). I thought my trusted traveler # was given to me when I went in for my interview.

The # is also available when you login to your GOES account once you’re approval has been processed.

I hate this. One of the TSA guys said that in the first few months that they had the Pre-Check they rarely bounced folks. Once they started bouncing a few they found knives, guns, lighters and all kinds of stuff in the luggage. They deal with these idiots now by randomly bumping folks into the regular line. It always makes me whince.

Cards are only for crossing the border on foot/car or cruise ship. Otherwise, you are just using your passport and fingerprint at the kiosk. My understanding is the card number and trusted traveler number on the sheet from your interview are the same.