Are there wines you don't get that everyone else loves ???

I guess my relative indifference to Brunello stands out given my passion for Italian wines generally, including many other Tuscans

[winner.gif] [welldone.gif]

I can appreciate whites at a tasting, but never buy them for drinking.<<<<<<<

You know, I often wonder about this kind of sentiment. I realize folks do things differently, but the vast majority of my wine is consumed with food, and I normally eat an appetizer, entree & dessert/cheese at a restaurant. Are we saying that if you’re having, say, smoked salmon or trout or a salad to start with, people are eating these paired with red wines?

At home it’s just one course, so I get the red focus, but when I’m out and having more than one course, my wife and I are always doing both a white & a red.

Gruner.

Sangiovese for me; I have a few some good ones, but the majority has been unpalatable to me and as such I know so little about it that I wouldn’t know where to start if i wanted a good one (nor at this time do I care to).

I can relate to Neal’s comment about not perceiving a big difference between very good/inexpensive white wines and very good/very expensive ones. I’m open to possibility that there are other wines that I’d love and just haven’t had yet, but so far Chave Hermitage Blanc is the only pricey white wine I’ll stretch for.

Any Pinot Noir that even has a hint of cola/cherry cola. From what I’ve tasted, too many Russian River Pinots have that element. Hate, hate, hate it.

Zind Humbrecht from 1989 onwards. With rare exceptions, too sweet for what I want in Alsatian whites.

Gobby, too-much-oak wines [bleh.gif]

Cayuse is the one winery I cannot get on board with – just not my style

Chard. Just don’t like them but I’ll still try em. You never know.

Diaper flavored wines

El Nido/Clio - not a fan

Rivers-Marie pinot noir. I’ve drunk quite a few, I thought I would like them, I’ve even tried to like them. And I don’t hate them, they aren’t actively bad or objectionable, but I just don’t get the appeal. To me, they seem flabby and blowsey. (I did quite like the 2005 Occidental Ridge.)

Also, expensive Champagne. After many years of blind tastings, I realize that just about nobody can tell the difference between the luxury cuvees and the well-made examples of normal cuvees. Most folks do taste the labels, however, so it is a double waste to serve the costly ones blind.

I’ve never had a 2005 or earlier R-M pinot, but from 2006 on anyway I thought the Occidental Ridge was the ripest/flabbiest of the lot. Didn’t care for it and sold mine off. Of course I stopped buying R-M (and essentially all other Cali pinot) after 2009 anyway. I did open a 2007 Sonoma Coast the other night and it was nice in a cali pinot sort of way - well proportioned but still that bit of sweetness that I only really enjoy in limited doses anymore. Where I differ from the R-M fans is on the Cabernets. I bought them for 3-4 vintages, then finally opened a few - 06 and 07 I think - and just had no desire to drink them. Sold.

Also agree on the pinot/cola comment above. Not a fan.

I agree and also I don’t get most Spanish reds. I find them either too musty or with a bitter wood component I can’t get past.

OK, so far we’ve got all white wines, all wines with residual sugar, and all Spanish, American, Australian, Burgundy, and Southern Rhone reds…if we can just get someone to dump on all Bordeaux and Italian reds we’ll have rejected all the world’s wines! Come on people, I know we can do it!

People dump on Bordeaux on here all the time; they probably haven’t bothered in this thread because it’s passe.

I think most of the wines that get serious praise on this board that don’t move me are syrahs, including new world ones of both styles as well as ones from the Rhone Valley. Even the ones that I like relatively more (Dehlinger, Lillian, some Northern Rhones like Voge) I don’t like as much as others, nor do I want them more than infrequently. I was at a tasting dinner this week where we got to have 81 and 84 Guigal La Landonne and 85 and 87 Guigal La Mouline, and while they were good and interesting wines, I didn’t love them nearly as much as the other tasters at the dinner did.

Oddly, though, I really like new-world Grenache, and I like old and new world Mourvedre.

orange wine
Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio with the occasional exception
I prefer tawny port over vintage port
oaky wines
tannic beasts

Marcus, I’ll dump on BDX with the exception of Haut Brion.

I’m sure there are others, but one that comes to mind for me is Rivers Marie Chardonnay. I think it is fine, but have never gotten the hype. I do like the Pinots very much (especially the Sonoma Coast at $25).

Yeah it’s kinda silly. Maybe we should start/revive another anti-Parker thread, or jump onto Holdredges Napa rant instead.
For me when its at the regional or varietal level I just assume my own ignorance. For example I haven’t found much WA syrah that I actually enjoy. I’m sure there is some if not quite a lot out there, but I just don’t have the time or interest to look harder. But if we avoid the generalization, that leaves singling out individual producers (or maybe say a specific AVA/AOC) when in general on this board I just try to stay out of threads on stuff I don’t enjoy. (not that I haven’t wandered into a few in the past)