Are there wines you don't get that everyone else loves ???

Not sure that I understand this. The OP asked what individuals “don’t get”, not the Berserker autonomous collective. Not sure how this is different than asking what you do like.

Anything oaky. I’m not a termite.

Beyond that, though, I’ll have to add, that I love all the stuff the rest of you hate. I could drink my weight in horseblankety Burgundy, musty Spanish reds or expensive champagne (assuming someone else is footing the bill). [cheers.gif]

Amerone. Might be the winemaker in me, but 90% of them come across as aldehydic. Yuk.

I’m with you Chris, except I don’t care for any syrah. I don’t like the blood/olive juice flavor profile of that varietal.

most still Chardonnay

In that situation I’ll also open both a white & a red, but the white will again have either bubbles (Champagne) or sugar (German Riesling). :slight_smile:

Dessert wines. The husband loves them, especially ice wines, TBA, late harvest anything, but not Port.
I stick with dry, table wines. (Also, I can’t drink more wine after dinner–that’s what happens when you have a little age on you!

Grenache. I’ve tried so many times to like it, but it always comes across as too hot, grapey, and/or medicinal for my palate.

I know not everyone likes them and also that it’s trendy to like high acidity, but I don’t get how people can drink low acidity wines. This applies to the casual wine drinker and, not to rag on them, the large-budget flabby Napa-cab lovers. It also applies to people who like sweet or fortified wines but without the balancing acidity. And I know there’s lots of people out there who love this stuff. I just can’t drink it. It makes me feel full and uncomfortable immediately and I can only get through a half glass before I have to swap out for water.

I also haven’t met many California GSM blends I’ve enjoyed. I’ll chalk part of that up to ignorance on my behalf but I don’t get how people go nuts over them.

Same here.

Cayuse is the only wine I 100% don’t get. I taste 0 fruit and strong swampy characteristics. I think my palate is sensitive to something in their wine making style that others are not.

There is a time and a place for everything, but Prosecco must be the most boring, half-assed wine on the planet.

I experience those same swampy characteristics, which are completely unappealing to me.

I don’t get the following:

1. Sherry-don’t like oxidized wine particularly with flor
  2. Sauvignon Blanc-hate it, hate it, hate it
  3. Oaky anything- agree with the not a termite comment
  4. Beaujolais- me and gamay don’t work
  5. High Octane- Syrah and Pinot - to me they are just gross

I also agree with the comment regarding high end Champagne. I have had many $15-40 sparklers that I like more than a $200 bottle of champagne. For that matter, I am finding that I prefer the base Chianti Classico and Riservas with minimal oak and colorino and canaiolo to a bunch of the over oaked Chianti’s with Cabernet and/or Merlot blended in. And I prefer the entry level Chateauneufs often to their higher priced luxury cuvee siblings unless they are predominantly grenache with no new oak.

I am also finding that my preferences have become much stronger over the past few years. I still like and have an eclectic cellar, but I have become more picky over time. That is the blessing and curse of this hobby. Wines that I used to love no longer excite me and wines that I didn’t used to care for so much have grown on me over time.

Byron

My list:

1. Most Burgundy
  2. Brunello. The most over rated wines in the world to me
  3. Amarone. Just don’t like that sweet flavor profile and to me unpleasant taste
  4. Orange wines

For individual producers, these are the ones that quickly come to mind:

Grange, Quintarelli, Cayuse, Arnot-Roberts, Kosta-Browne, Dunn

Hmm…let’s see. I ‘Don’t get’ Grand Cru Burgundy, top-end Bordeaux, top-label Champagne, Giacosa red label, or pretty much anything else that cost’s upwards of $150/bottle. Perhaps the reason I ‘don’t get it’ is because I really don’t get any. Rather like the virgin’s dilema.

My tastes have changed and evolved. While there are several types and regions I no longer buy or enjoy, I understand how other people like them; I’ve been there.

Currently, there are two regions/styles I just don’t get:

Oxidative Jura whites
Green and vegetal Loire Valley reds

I have friends who love these and whose palates usually conform with mine.

I don’t get

Sangiovese - I love Barolo and Barbaresco and am starting to like some wines from Sicily and southern Italy, but I have not really had a Sangiovese that really sent me and most I just don’t like.
Chateauneuff du Pape - I enjoy inexpensive Cotes du Rhones but when we get to real money there are so many other wines I would rather have. Really not that much of a fan of any higher end Rhones. Surprisingly, however, I love a good Bandol.
High Octane anything - California Cabernet, Chardonnay, Pinot, etc., Bordeaux, Burgundy - anything if it is high octane. It isn’t the new oak - there are plenty of wines I like with new oak, it is more the feeling that the wine is forced and not very interesting.
Trocken German wines - Love German riesling, why ruin it?
Most Sauvignon Blanc - I have had a few wines from Cotat, Vatan, Dageneau, etc., that I enjoy, but for the most part I am not a big fan of SB.
Highly oxidative wines - never been a fan of Koehler Ruprecht, for example.

An interesting area for me is Champagne. I really don’t like most Champagne, but the ones I like I really like a lot. And it is not always a question of price or size of producer.

Rousseau Chambertin, Chambertin Clos de Beze, and G-Ch Clos St. Jacques. Everyone loves them and I don’t get any anymore!

Oh, wait, I guess that wasn’t what you meant.
In that case:
Southern Rhone
Brunello
White Rhone
Gruner
CA cab after the 80’s with few exceptions
High octane CA pinot noir
High octane anything other than spirits
Cough syrup labelled as Pinot Noir
Expensive white Burgundy that I can no longer trust to age
Just about any white wine other than white Burgundy, sadly

Rivers-Marie – too glossy, and often comes with a fruit rollup quality
Most RRV pinot noir
The late-model California alcoholic oak juice . . . er, cabernet (whatever happened to those wonderful wines from the 60s, 70s, and even into the 80s? Though there is Corison)