Aston Estate?

I remember enjoying these many years back (10+?) when they were at a reasonable cost under the Schrader umbrella. My recollection is that they were a bigger, richer style than the current RM wines, but that’s comparing something made 10 years ago under Schrader to current RM directly driven by TRB. I’ll probably take a flyer on a few bottles based on my positive past experience.

I remember these…all in, day one…but wasn’t for me…drank one, sold the rest. I’ll take Rivers Marie all…day…long…thank you!

• 2005 Aston Estate Pinot Noir Clone 115/667 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/2/2009)
    Bought my whole allocation from the inaugural release…this is the first one I’ve cracked. I was very afraid of the tomato comments…as I hate tomatoes! I do get it in this initially…but it’s more of a spicy Bloody Mary tomato with celery stick! I can go for that! This wine is VERY high toned with ripe and tart raspberry/crancherry/plum skin fruit. Purists RUN AWAY! This is hedonistic Cali Pinot here. Intense clove, sandalwood spice…dusty cherry, dried green tobacco leaves, smoked cherrywood. Plenty of citrus acidity, almost too much, but also has plenty of sweet fruit. This wine will be very interesting with age…I can see this going 10+yrs no problem. Tame this sucker…5pts higher imo. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

TRB and Will? Count me in! I bought 2 three packs.

I have had Aston a few times and enjoyed it.
Will see where this goes because the Rivers Marie lineup is tough to beat at much lower price points especially the SC.

1 Like

Will be tasting these tomorrow and can report back. Trb doesn’t make many bad wines so I’m inclined to think these will be good. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Just tried one of these on Sat for the first time when my neighbor opened a bottle. Granted it was the 2013, so perhaps while the stylistic shift was still underway. I didn’t find it OTT in a K-B style, it hewed more closely to a R-M albeit with an extra helping of fruit. I preferred it to the 09 Littorai Savoy and ‘19 Williams-Selyem terra de promissio. It’s also possible that my palate got tired after more than one glass of CA Pinot which I enjoy in moderation.

I wrote:
My favorite of the 3 CA pinots tonight. Dusky cherry and plum on the nose. On the palate, it starts out a bit muted but wakes up over half an hour. Lots of CA sunshine in the fruit, but not over the top. Black cherry, plum, wet earth, and still discernible spine of chalky-mineral structure. Lacks a bit of elegance, but good depth and balanced on the finish. Drinking nicely for but don’t see it evolving much. (91)

The 2017 Aston was great when we tasted at Rivers-Marie two weeks ago. I didn’t take any formal notes, but it was a buy for us. I recall that it seemed a little more structured and serious than the 2019 Silver Eagle Pinot Noir tasted side-by-side.

P.S., our visit to Rivers-Marie was fantastic. Emily was an excellent host and their new facility in Calistoga is very nicely done.

Anyone else get the offer letter today?

Trying to understand this in the context of the price difference.

“We kept the existing makeup of the Estate bottling intact and added the Sonoma Coast bottling from what was previously contracted fruit.”

So same vineyard clearly and not selling the fruit to others. Is it simply a better portion of the vineyard?

Thanks, Tom

i got the letter and i agree it was certainly ambiguous. i was sorta thinking maybe also sonoma coast and not a SVD? or just the lesser barrels that would have been sold off, sorta what you said.
im sure Will can provide some clarification. regardless, the price is certainly right.

I did.

I’ll do my best to elaborate.

The vineyard is fairly large at 14 acres. The Aston Estate Pinot, the bottling traditionally associated with label, comes from a well established set of blocks/rows from within the overall holding. The rest of the fruit had been contracted out to others for many years. In 2018, Thomas and the rest of the ownership group decided they wanted to grow the brand by adding a second bottling. Instead of looking for fruit in the area, they decided to hold on to the fruit that was being sold to other wineries. Out of this decision, the Sonoma Coast bottling was born. It is 100% Estate fruit from the Aston vineyard – just from fruit in portions of the vineyard that were not part of the Estate program that preceded it. If the lower priced wine takes off in popularity, the need for fruit from outside the vineyard may arise but for 2018 & 2019 it is just a different take on the same vineyard at a lower price point. And per the notes the Estate bottling sees about 1/3 new oak where the SC sees about 10%.

2 Likes

Will - is there really no shipping fee on a 4 bottle order? Not complaining, but I went all the way through the order process and shipping came up as $. I don’t want to be hit with some fee later on.

Shipping is included on 4 bottle/minimum purchase.

2 Likes

Thanks - I realize its the same at 40/bottle plus 5/bottle to ship or $45 for the bottle with “Free shipping” - somewhere the shipping is getting accounted for as its never “free”

but in the world of online wine purchasing its always a gamble when you get to the check out page - as I’ve seen $3/bottle all the way up to almost $9/bottle to ship. So when I saw $0 I was hesitant but happy! This is coming from someone in NJ so its usually cross country shipping.

Either way - order placed!

Got the offer but will hold off on buying this year, curious to see how Aston progresses with TRB and Will stylistically because I love the RM wines.

In for 4 bottles of the new wine. TRB has been making these wines since its concept, so I expect they will well crafted and at $45 and free shipping feels like a no brainer.

+1

So don’t bother with the 2017 “old” style?

Is there an “old” style? I think TRB is very consistent in this wine making style that makes me not worry.