Aston Estate?

Aston pinot has never been RM stylistically and i hope that doesn’t change.

I’m also in for a handful of both the Estate and the Sonoma Coast. I’ll be interested in the style. My understanding is that, even with TRB’s involvement, they have trended more towards a Schrader/ Cab style of pinot as opposed to RM style. But I am also a fan of the work that is being done with the quality true Sonoma Coast pinots so interested to see this one.

Just tasted the 2021 Aston Pinot today as they drained and pressed the fruit, going to barrel. It seems 2021 is going to be a very good year for Pinot from the Sonoma Coast regions. Unlike Napa, yields and berry size are normal. My sense is Aston is more racy and ripe than Rivers-Marie and different in style, with sexier oak. Even though TRB’s estate fruit is still on the vine as this goes to barrel. Is this wine still $65?

So they are both Estate bottled and both Sonoma Coast. It appears someone created a white label designation for Cellartracker purposes but most are not using it.

Tom

Happy to report that we immensely enjoyed a bottle of 2017 Aston Estate Pinot with our Christmas Eve dinner of grilled beef tenderloin with roasted mushrooms, brussel sprouts, and mashed potatoes.

It’s a robust Pinot with good fruit and structure to match. A profile that worked perfectly with our meal pairing.

Cheers!

Finally looked at the bottles I received after ordering both the 2017 Estate and 2018 Sonoma Coast. Aston website shows the ‘18 with a white label with no red X and the word “Estate” missing. However my 2018 bottles have a red X with the word Estate (label exactly the same as the 2017). Are there two different labels for the 2018?

Got the new mailer today and still struggle with the difference between the more expensive Aston Estate Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast and less expensive Aston Estate Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (other than the label). It appears this is the second time the 2018 has been offered (the $75 version) as I already have 4 bottles in the cellar. Has anyone tried the two wines side by side? Maybe I’ll just buy the 2019 White Label version.

Tom

Will, has TRB considered putting more on the label to distinguish the difference between the wines? Think Rochioli (East Block, West Block, etc) or Bucklin (Ancient Vines and Bambino).

Tom

Will discussed the difference above. All from the same vineyard, just prime blocks for the Estate one.

So maybe name it Aston Estate Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast Prime Blocks? champagne.gif

Mystery solved - from today’s release notes:
For those of you that participated in the 2017/2018 offer last summer, you may notice that the 2018 Sonoma Coast bottling is being offered once again. This is because the 2018 Aston Estate (Red X label) was released to the shipper in lieu of the 2018 Aston Estate Sonoma Coast (white label). If you received the white label 2018, you already have the wine on offer and can use this opportunity to reload should you wish. For those of you that received the 2018 Aston Estate (Red X), we hope you enjoyed the upgrade/early preview.

Seems like a no brainer at $45 and free shipping for 4 or more bottles.

2015 Aston Estate Pinot Noir:

Crimson in color. 14.8% ABV. Brooding nose of dark fruits, forest floor and flowers. Full bodied with perfect acidity. Big, dark and structured. Black cherry, mushroom, sarsaparilla and earth on the palate. The finish is long and silky with subtle tannins. Not your prototypical Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir but there is lots to like here. This will age well. Best over the next 4-6 years.

My rating: 92 points.

Cheers, Tom
IMG_2467.jpg

1 Like

Not sure if I missed an email but there’s a library release out right now.

1 bottle each 2015- 2020 Aston Estate Pinot Noir (shipping included)
This special library offering consists of (1 btl each) 2015,16,17,18,19 Aston Estate Pinot Noir and (1 Btl) 2020 Sonoma Coast. $480 for the 6-pack

Plus Mags from '09 thru '12 for $195/mag

Don’t think I’ll pull the trigger on any bottles as I try to maintain my current inventory levels.

Opened a 2012 a week back. Really enjoyed the wine, did not write down any notes. I think it can age longer but wanted to check in on what was my last bottle of a half case.

Tried a few at Falltacular - nice but didn’t stand out from the crowd at all . . .

Cheers

I haven’t popped one yet. IIRC, they offered a 3-pack a while back with two of the 2016 and one of the 2015. The bottles are gigantic. Boo.

My TN from Falltacular. I didn’t know, or at least remember, anything about it when I tried it, so I had zero preconceptions about the wine, who is making it, or anything else.

Aston Estate Pinot Noir 2019. This wears its California fruit profile proudly. Bold and spicy darker berry fruit, oak is a factor but not overdone. It’s easy to like. I think fans of recent vintage Kosta Browne wines (the more medium styled ones since the ultraripe style of the early 2000s) would like this a lot.

Now reading about the TRB connection, I would say it wasn’t stylistically very similar to Rivers Marie pinots. Darker berry fruit, more spicy oak notes, didn’t have that orange cream flavor I usually find in Rivers Marie pinots.

I recall the label said 14.5%, but I’m not positive about that.

I used to order Aston Estate and agree with Tom_Lee’s take for the most part, though I liked them young way more than the aged ones. They’re super extracted, big and bold and almost viscous. The ones I opened 8+ years after release faded rather quickly. I personally wouldn’t compare this style to RM at all, which I mostly find to be brighter and more interesting. I’m pretty sure someone in my family has a couple of bottles, so maybe this xmas we’ll pop one (2012 or 2013).