Aubert Fall Release - Save the Date

This was my first offer for pinots after two years on the list. I bought a lot of chards in the Spring offering and the special sale, so I went with a case of the pinots. If you got a
Spring offer, you’ll probably get a pinot offer in a year or two, maybe sooner if the economic downturn continues.

I am beyond weak! So this month has been Rochioli, RM, Roy Piper, and Kutch still to go. So no Aubert…except 5 Pinots and 5 Chards.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

It’s tough to buy no Aubert this time around so I commend you for not buying “any”. champagne.gif

Yeah, I’m a real tough guy!

Does anyone know why only one svd Chardonnay (Hudson) is offered on this release? Is it bottled later? Or needs additional bottle age?

Just a guess, but I think it’s simply to balance the pain between the spring and fall releases. Hudson is a relatively new Chardonnay offering that’s become available at the same time that a couple of new estate Chardonnay vineyards have been added. Around that time, Aubert lost a Pinot Noir vineyard source which reduced the Pinot Noir offerings.

Just got a second wave release email for next week. Anything in this release that is a must have?

Same - August 4th… I want to keep these to hopefully just the absolutely have to have wines. Thanks!

No Hudson Chardonnay it appears :frowning: . Nonetheless, very excited to be able to purchase some wine.

It looks like the UV and UV-SL Pinots received some very high scores from the critics. Might get a few of those in addition to the appellation Chards.

I’ve never had the appellation Chardonnays. Do they still stand out as wine of exceptional quality / better than most [CA] Chard, or are they a bit more of “very good, but nothing too special”?

I just got a first time offer for some of the '19 Sonoma Coast Chard ($65) to “tide you over until we can offer you a full selection”. Thoughts?

Buy what you’re offered ! We are big fans of the Aubert Appellation wines. They are definitely Aubert in style and while they may not reach the heights of the Single Vineyard bottlings, they’re not far behind. They age well too, as we enjoyed a delicious 2013 Carneros Chardonnay last night.

By the way, the 2019 Sonoma Coast hasn’t been released to the mailing list yet, at least as far as I can tell. The last offer I received, in July, included the 2018 Carneros and 2019 Russian River Appellation Chardonnays, but not the 2019 Sonoma Coast.

I just got the same email, was offered 9 but only took 3.
Haven’t tried the wines before, but excited to!

Here is what I could find on the '19 Sonoma Coast Chard

From speaking with them a few years ago, they mentioned to me that people not yet on the list who take these “tide you over” offers (which they seem to offer in some form or another most years), definitely move you up the list more quickly. In my own experience, I took one of those offers a few years back, and had an allocation on the next release.

I assumed that was the case. Thanks for the insight

How are their entry Sonoma Coast Chardonnays we were offered. Obviously made from younger vines. Good quality for the price?

I’ve been on the list since the ‘04 vintage and this is my take. (Assuming you like these types of wines, of course.)

The appellation Chardonnays are excellent wines and good value for the money. The single vineyard wines are even better and well worth the higher price.

So, it depends on what your constraint is: if you only have access to the appellation wine (or very limited access to the single vineyard wines) I’d recommend buying without hesitation. But, if your single vineyard allocation is plentiful I’d recommend first buying as many of those as you can afford, and then add appellation wines if there’s room in your budget. Perhaps to have a few bottles that you’ll feel good opening without there being a special occasion…

There is also the release schedule and how much you like the Pinots to consider. All but one of the single vineyard wines are released together early in the year. The appellation Chardonnay is released together with the Hudson Chard and the Pinots in the fall. If you’re mainly interested in the Chards, the appellation wine can help get your fall shipment to a good size to minimize the per-bottle shipping cost.

I signed up for Aubert about two years ago. I was offered a “tide you over” lot of 6 SV 2017 Chards which I took. A year later, I got a full a full allocation of Chards and I got
all of the pinots in this Fall release. So the wait is not long. Knowing how good the SV Chards are, I would think the Sonoma Coast would be a good value @$65.

Thanks Mattias and Mark for your replies, very insightful!