Austria Tips?

There are a lot of good wine shops in Vienna. My favourite is the Vinothek St. Stephan, near the cathedral. Great selection, including some less obvious choices, and very helpful staff. VINOTHEK St.Stephan Wien, KVMG Weinhandel

Also some very good wine is made in Vienna, some of it meant for easy glugging, but some of the Viennese field blends (Wiener Gemischter Satz) are seriously good.

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions flowing.

Tom

Durnstein and surroundings are the heart of Wachau wine country. As someone suggested earlier in the thread, an alternative to visiting producers would be to make a pilgrimage to Vinothek Fohringer in the village of Spitz, a short cab ride from Durnstein. Amazing store, I can’t imagine a better selection of Wachau wines anywhere. When I was there, they had multiple bottles open for tasting.

Thank you again everyone for the suggestions. On the downside, we arrived in Durnstein on a Sunday, so Domaine Wachu was closed, but on the plus side, the ship arranged a visit to Schloss Gobelsburg during our short stay in Krems. All I can say is WOW…the wines were exceptional and thus I used half of my wine check to bring home some amazing whites and a 2004 vintage Sparkling. We also bought some nice wines from a small wine shop in Durnstein and loved the selection at Vinothek St. Stephan in Vienna, which ended up filling out the Wine Check.

On another note…what a spread in pricing for Schloss Gobelsburg at the Abby versus here in the US. $27 to $30 Euro’s versus $60 to $70 here in the states for the Tradition wines.

Finally, I picked up a bottle of 2009 Batonnage from a great wine bar in Passau. Has anyone has this wines before?

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Tom