Backfilling on Togni and Dunn - Best, classic vintages?

Had a 87 Dunn Napa recently that was singing; the 92, 94 & 95 HMs have all been great but JUST entering their plateaus IMHO

+1 on '97 Togni, which was stunning in August of '15, and showed plenty left in the tank.

It was about 2 years ago, I think. It was gorgeous. I wish I had bought more

The '91 and '92 Dunn Howell blew me away. Had them about 2 years ago. Want more!

I have one standing up that I am thinking about for this weekend.

At least for the bottles I sourced on auction, I prefer the 93 to the 95 Togni.

The '95 Togni I opened a few months ago showed better the second day. I’m holding my remaining bottles.

The '95 is a very good wine, but not one of their greatest hits.

I will second this, based on an admittedly small sample of a mixed lot of 84s and 85s (regular vintage, not HM) purchased a couple of years ago at auction. They’ve been consistently great, two bottles of the 85 at Thanksgiving 2014 in particular. Not remotely over the hill.

It is interesting you mention that wine. I first tasted Togni in about 1995 or 1996 at a MacArthur Beverages California Barrel Sample Tasting in DC (the first one of these I went to). Most wineries just had their 1994s, but Togni had a 1991, 1993 and 1994 (and a Ca Togni). I liked all three, but thought the 1991 was the best and the 1993 the weakest. But, at the end of the evening they had about a 1/2 bottle left of the 1993 and Togni offered it to me to take home. I had it a day or two later and it was marvelous. Bought the 1994 (it was the one being offered on futures at the time), but always wondered what became of the 1993. Thanks.

93 is kind of an under the radar vintage. Recently we’ve tasted the 93 Pahlmeyer, Mondavi Reserve, and Beringer Private and they’ve all been really memorable wines.

I agree, in my limited experience. Monte bello, Montelena, Beringer, whatever. All terrific for me.

I’ve gone through a number of '87 Dunn HM in the last year and every one has been fantastic. Something else to consider: I’ve also had a few '87 Dunn Napa Valley that were just a step behind the HM bottling. Great juice.

As well, even though '88 was apparently a lousy vintage, I’ve recently opened two '88 Dunn HM that were very good, and you can source them for considerably less than the '87.

Also agree that the early '90s Dunn HM are excellent and just starting to come into their prime.

I can confirm that this man knows his Dunn. His fingers have permanent stains from dealing with the wax capsules! [cheers.gif]

A big +1 on that. Same for '95.

However, 2001 is one of those years that nearly everybody made great Cab.

'98 Togni in the decanter now, purely in the interest of helping out.

91 Dunn Howell Mt was fantastic late 2015. 90 a half step behind around the same time.

JD

I’ve really enjoyed a few bottles of the 91 Dunn HM in the last year or so, but it was atypically rich and open for a Dunn HM. This is not a criticism at all. But compared to the 85, 87, 93, 95 Howell Mtns, the 91 must have softer tannins and/or more fruit.

So, depending on what one wants in this wine, the 91 may or may not be quite that. Personally, I really liked the 91 as other vintages verge a bit austere for me (or maybe they just need more time).

Opened a '95 Togni last week…Opened but not decanted for about three hours and it was delicious. My favorite, however, is the '92.

As far as the Dunns, I have had excellent experiences with virtually all of the '80s. The '82 was spectacular and even the '88 & '89s were very enjoyable. I recently opened two bottles of the '90 Napa and they were both singing. In addition, I have always felt that the Napa was only a “drop” below the Howell in quality. I actually stopped purchasing the Dunn wines after the '97 vintage due to their longevity. Even have the '97s in mags…Hope grandkids like wine! flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Drank the '93 Togni tonight and it was a masterful wine. Dark cherry,tobacco, long finish - so complete.