Backfilling on Togni and Dunn - Best, classic vintages?

Have many of you tasted Dunn in blind panel formats?

Togni was at Chappellet through at least the 1973/1974 era, so don’t overlook late 1960s & early 1970s vintages of Chappellet.

If you feel like spending lots & lots of money, there are magnums of both 1973 & 1974 Chappellet on free Wine-Searcher right now.

Maybe somebody here knows the definitive answer as to when Togni left Chappellet? I’ve always wondered which was his final vintage.

The San Francisco Chronicle says that he definitely made the 1969 for Chappellet, and that he & his wife didn’t purchase the Spring Mountain property until 1975, with planting in 1981 and first harvest in 1983:

Report please! How was it?

+1

I have always preferred the Napa bottling, actually. Rich, clean, cedary and mostly without that gnurled ridge of firm, tannic, saddle leather that requires 2,000 miles of Clint Eastwood’s crotch to wear down.

And yes, lol, I’m embarrassed by that thought. Somewhat.

Have always loved Togni wines! (Both the CS and the Ca’Togni.)
My experience with the CS was '88->'02 vintages. I definitely agree with the suggestions of 1991. I remember Mr. Togni telling me that '91 was, at the time, one of his favorite vintages.
My hats off also to the '94. Hot damn! The '95 was great, but even back then it needed more time.
I am also happy to see mention of the '93. I loved that wine. May have been my favorite '93 Napa Cab.
I also liked the more delicate, finessed, 1990. (Compared to the 93, 94, 95 which were more intense.)

Have fun with finding these older wines.
I do have a (Togni made) '73 Chappellet ready for consumption, perhaps this year.

Note posted on CellarTracker:

1/22/2016 - I LIKE THIS WINE: (Edit)
Enticing aromas of blackberry, graphite, and wild flowers present immediately upon opening. In the mouth, this is a relatively lean framed wine, though it is balanced and complete, with a lingering finish. Dark chocolate and some spicy notes join the mature fruit, and fill the mouth will a satisfying roundness. Though not heavy or full-bodied, this wine gives an impression of richness. Changed very little in the decanter or in the glass over a 3 hour period, making us think this is right at the sweet spot of maturity. Don’t think the fruit is there for the long long haul - I’d drink in the next 3 years or so. A real pleasure and a solid value from this mostly scorned vintage. Shows that the “off” vintages from this period are often the best drinking wines and the best food wines, as they are more restrained and balanced next to their bigger and more exuberant brethren from '97.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

brings back memories–82 Dunn HM was my first ever case purchase of wine. I remember steadying my hand with the other hand as I wrote the check–$12.50 per bottle, for about $160+ for the case.

We had a 1991 Togni a few years ago and it was outstanding. As far as Dunn HM, almost everything between 1990-1997 would be a good choice.

Thanks,
Ed

The 1992 Togni (Magnum) I had a few months ago was one of the greatest CA cabernets I’ve ever had.