Bella Oaks - Save the date, Sept 21

Order in! Trusting Nigel in his skills.

1 Like

Are they charging tax and what’s shipping looking like? A big challenging at the price.

Of course they are charging sales tax if they have to!

i am very excited about this wine. Along with MacDonald, Kinsman Eades is my favorite new producer of the last ~ decade in Napa. That coupled with a history with Heitz Bella Oaks makes this an easy buy for me despite the price.

I’m really debating this purchase having never tried it, the high entry price, and my wallet hurting. Granted I buy Kinsman Eades and the winemaker is Nigel.

1 Like

Had the pleasure to taste this with Shae last month. I personally loved it. Beautiful black and blue fruit. Surprised how approachable it was, yet you know this is going to age really well. In my opinion, it is worth the hefty price.

PS. Also had all the Kinsman Eades. All I will say is that you need to get on the waiting list for their wines!

1 Like

I am trying to reconcile all the laudatory comments with the prominence of Michel Rolland as consultant. Doesn’t that imply super ripeness and a lot of oak influence? Many comments about delicacy and lightness - both qualities I admire, but I never associated that with Michel Rolland aesthetic. Teach me…

David - i cant teach because i have not tried the wine (and because i cant teach more broadly). That said i have tried multiple Kinsman that Nigel makes and they are not overly ripe wines (rather they are beautifully balanced) and given how those that have tried describe the wines they seem to fit into the Kinsman extended family. I assume that a role of consultant in wine can look much like that in other business. In some cases the consultant advises and the team takes what it wants from that (generally when there is a strong team in place) and in others they end up running the show (when a strong team is absent). My assumption / hope is we are looking at the former here. There are no guarantees of course but this is an instance where i have great confidence in the winemaker and have loved wines from the vineyard for decades, so a decent bet in my mind for my palate.

Cheers
Jeff

2 Likes

Purchased a 3-pack, bit of a gamble as I have not tried, but liked what I read above.
I liked the Heitz Bella Oaks in the past.

This is Napa cab. Ripeness and oak are a given.

In for one three-pack, wishlisted one more. They turned on general ordering before the email went out, it seems!

$324 after tax and shipping…ouch.

Need to debate this a bit.

1 Like

3 pack + tax & shipping to midwest (2-day the only option) put it just under 1k. I bit based on the pedigree & comments of people who have tried it here.

Yep - Mine was something like $975. Would put it at the very top of what I spend on Napa wines. Tough decision.

yep, it’s live.

No tax on mine, so under $900 for a 3-pak. I usually get charged tax eventually even if it doesn’t show on the initial confirmation, we’ll see.

Nick - obviously from comments above i purchased and am excited about the wines. That said, for me if i am going back and forth on a wine purchase where i am questioning if i should spend that amount of money, not doing it is almost always the right answer for me.

Was I the only one afraid of posting in this thread and continually bumping it to the top of the Wine Talk page thus increasing its profile and interest before the wine released?

Ha - you’re probably right. I definitely love Nigel’s wines and the vineyard has some history. Will have to flip a coin or something. Would hate to miss out on something. FOMO striking hard.

Ugh I’m so torn. This has been an expensive month…I’m such a fan of Kinsman wines so I’m heavily debating this, but at effectively $1k all in for something I’ve never tasted makes it quite tough to buy on reputation alone.

Nick i hear you