Bella Oaks - Save the date, Sept 21

Fair thoughts and maybe I’m just ignorant to his resume. I know my buddies that don’t drink much Napa wine have zero clue who he is and could name multiple wines by TRB/Melka/Bevan/Heidi. Could be a function of marketing though.

Side note - not trying to disparage him at all. I am a huge fan and have happily supported Kinsman since the first vintage. Just trying to wrap some logic around this from my perspective. I’ll probably end up buying some bottles after I taste in a few weeks. Hoping it sticks around that long.

I don’t think > $300 Napa cab is a bargain regardless who is making it. I’m sure it’ll be an excellent wine, though

1 Like

I think this is a fair opinion, of course. I was just pointing out what I considered to be relevant comps.

275 a bottle for a revitalized historic Rutherford vineyard managed by Abreu, with a winemaker who has already has a 100 pt. score in his third release of his own wine seems like a fair price when compared to the likes of Scarecrow.

1 Like

Pretty happy with my recent purchase of 2018 Elyse Morisoli Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon at $68… By a winemaker who already has 100 pt. scores… I probably wouldn’t buy this if it were $100 cheaper.

Now Sold Out - not disputing prior comments about this being an expensive release price, but seems like the owner has made a substantial investment in purchasing and improving the land and assembling a top level team to create a new wine, which has received a 98 point review from AG, so up to each individual to decide whether they want to participate at this price level or not…

IT IS WITH IMMENSE GRATITUDE THAT I SHARE WITH YOU OUR INAUGURAL VINTAGE OF THE BELLA OAKS PROPRIETARY RED WINE IS SOLD OUT. THIS INAUGURAL RELEASE BRINGS WITH IT A VERY PERSONAL SENSE OF ACHIEVEMENT AND JOY. MANY YEARS OF PATIENCE AND ANTICIPATION HAVE PAVED OUR WAY AS WE CREATE A NEW IDENTITY FOR BELLA OAKS THAT IS THOUGHTFULLY INTERTWINED WITH ITS REMARKABLE PAST. I AM DEEPLY GRATEFUL FOR THE INCREDIBLE RESPONSE TO OUR FIRST VINTAGE, AND TO MY PASSIONATE TEAM FOR THEIR DEDICATION TO THIS PROPERTY.

FOR SOME, THIS WINE SIGNALS THE BEGINNING OF A JOURNEY WITH BELLA OAKS; FOR OTHERS IT IS A CONTINUATION OF A LASTING CONNECTION. FOR ALL, WE HOPE IT BRINGS JOY FOR DECADES TO COME.

WITH BEST REGARDS,
SUZANNE DEAL BOOTH

1 Like

Ha! A mere handful of hours after tut-tutting that it wouldn’t sell out. Happy to be wrong - congratulations to the Bella Oaks team!

Eric, we’ll have to combine forces one of these days since we are both at Classic FtW. I wanted a bottle but didn’t swing on the 3-pack. Hopefully I’ll get a chance next year!

1 Like

I am very happy for Nigel and Shae and, given years with Heitz Bella Oaks, I am happy to see a rebirth of a part of Napa history. And i am excited to try the wine given people, source and what i have heard to date. I purchased and hope to love the wine and have a long life as a happy customer. That said, even if i love the wine I could get priced out over time if Suzanne chooses to take a Colgin / Harlan path. We will see where it goes but i am happy for the good people involved and hopeful a new unique slot will be carved out in my cellar

1 Like

Sold out now

1 Like

Bravo to Bella Oaks for selling out their 2018! Looked for case production numbers and the only reference I found was 300 cases in an Esther Mobley article from this summer.
Not sure all 300 cases were sold to individual buyers or how many were retained for their library and tastings, but still impressive.

Lisa Perrotti-Brown had it at 324 cases produced in her review.

1 Like

I had no doubt it was going to sell out.

Congrats to the Bella Oaks team! Sell out in 2 days at that price point on a new wine is pretty impressive, but not surprising considering the vineyard and team behind the wine. [cheers.gif]
There were 332 cases per one wine magazine and scores of 98+, 98 and 95 so far, and featured in Robb Report as Top Napa wines of the 2018 vintage.

I don’t mean this at ALL to poo poo another bottling, but Russell Bevan and Nigel Kinsman are not intending to make the same style of wine. Different strokes, absolutely, and people can drink whatever they want. But it’s not as if this is a like for like replacement.

Since you said it, please give a comparison of their styles. Thanks.

Sure, but I don’t think it’s worth $175 a bottle. About $30 in that bottle. And somehow I don’t think Nigel Kinsman uses much different oak or picking dates than Russell. Maybe Russell extracts the grapes a bit longer? Let’s not pretend that Nigel Kinsman is making Chateau Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre.

Maybe Frog’s Leap is a better Rutherford comparison at $65?

2 Likes

FWIW- I tried this wine last week in Napa next to the Kinsman wines…all four wines were a slam dunk IMO. Sticking to topic, the Bella Oaks- it was simply a delicious wine that I think will age really well- nothing heavy handed, extracted, or oaky about it. Did not take formal notes but it had great weight, long finish, and really refined tannins.

1 Like