Best American cheese I have tasted.

Agree on Jasper Hill. However, I adore the cheese from Andante Dairy.

Vermont Creamery is my favorite, but I think their best cheeses are Coupole and St. Albans. The latter is a St. Marcellin clone but itā€™s better than any St. Marcellin Iā€™ve found in the US. Their Bonne Bouche (ashed goat) is very good as well. So is the butter.

Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk is a very good washed rind cheese too.

Lot of people rave about this, but too salty for me.

Have you tried Moses Sleeper?

Too many to choose only one. Parish Hill Creameryā€™s Cornerstone is among the best American cheeses and hasnā€™t been mentioned so far.

Maybe not the very best but very good: Consider Bardwell Farm The Dorset and Pawlet are tasty

Jay, no I havenā€™t, will keep an eye out. We eat a lot of Mt Tam, because itā€™s relatively mild and goes with most everything. If I could afford the calories, Iā€™d eat a lot more Epoisses, which is the holy grail of cheese for me.

I find it very hard to resist Epoisses. I prefer the Mt Tam over the Red Hawk but like them both. The Mt Tam with Chablis is sublime.

Agree on Jasper Hill ! MY go to decadent cheese is always a Mt. Tam from Cowgirl.

Another vote for Cowgirlā€¦plus Cougar Gold from Washington State University.

Lots of favorites on this thread but some new ones as well. Iā€™ve never tried anything from Arethusa but will remedy that soon.

One that hasnā€™t been mentioned yet is Landaff, delicious and one of the very few cheeses Iā€™ve had which matches well with red wines.

It seems a lot of people agree with your assessment.

I will try to find the Landaff, but your comment about cheese and red wines rings true with me. It often seems that the red wine and the cheese are fighting each other. I think that a red wine with cheese requires a bit of planning, but with a white wine there seems to be a wider margin of error for at least an acceptable pairing.

So I slowed played the hype a bit.

Just a wee bit. [wow.gif]

Yay!

I love their cheese, baby! cheesehead

That Red Hawk is some pungent shiite!

?
C8EAB12B-F14E-411E-A4F6-31A88390825E.jpeg
[wink.gif]

I agree wholeheartedly. Lots of good white or sparkling pairings but for my palate most cheeses mess with red wines.

Though IIRC someone once hit me with Red Hawk and Bordeaux and I was shocked that it worked so well. I might be misremembering the cheese though as it was at least 15 years ago. It was something from Jasper Hill.

Mmmmmmmm. Mash it onto a piece of brilliant sourdough breadā€¦ecstacy.

It has the power to make even the most AFWE red wine seem fruity!