Best American cheese I have tasted.

Go find some Bent River or Good Thunder from Alemar Cheese Co - was first served these in a fancy schmnacy NYC cheese bar despite them being made in my backyard.

Oh I forgot about good thunder. thatā€™s a terrific choice I just donā€™t see it very often.

I think this thread still has momentum, but I put together a list to take cheese shopping based on the recommendations so far.

Cheese recommendations as of 10/25/19
cheese list.jpg

I just bought some Stilton under the wire, but my favorite cheese shop is focusing on American cheeses. The switch may become permanent.

To all those ordering from the Hooks, what is your sweet spot for aging? They have 1 year to 15 year.

Self-appointed ā€œmic droppersā€ pretty much always have weak arguments. Doubtful that this is any different.

Of course, Iā€™m generally sceptical of anything being appointed truly best class, rather than one of the best.

And +1 for Cowgirl, Rogue, and Vermont Creamery being in the top rank.

Another great NW producer without much buzz yet is Cascade Creamery in Trout Lake WA. Beautiful country up there, near my spots for finding chanterelles and porcini.

Have you tried Harbison? If not, you are just blowing smoke.

That reminds me, another really good Jasper Hill cheese is Willoughby.

Yeah, somebodyā€™s just blowing smoke.

Iā€™ve had Harbison. It was fine. Top rank, even ā€“ though salty enough, as Alan says, to not be my cup of tea every day.

But also not ā€œmic drop, best cheese in America, very clearly above the competitionā€ In fact, nothing remotely like it.

Same thing with Rush Creek Reserve. A fine enough cheese, Iā€™d be happy to buy it if I see it. But not worth an effort to chase down.

canal junction charloe is definitely one of the most unique domestic cheeses i have tasted

So Brian Hook at Hookā€™s Cheese has ā€œhookedā€ me up with some great cheddar. Coming soon. Thanks for the heads up guys. Some 15yr. 10yr. A few other things.

Make another visit up here, Don. Iā€™ll take you to St. Lawrence Market and Olympic cheese and you can fetch some 18, 20 or 23 year old :slight_smile:

I love almost everything Rogue Creamery makes (other than the Caveman Blue) and am a sucker for Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam and Kunikā€™s brie-like cheeseā€“when I can find it!

Iā€™ll allow that Jasper Hills Harbison is a fine cheese. Iā€™m also personally quite partial to Cypress Groveā€™s Lambchopper.

Chris, I like buttermilk blue, but use it more in a mashed potatoes recipeā€“is great for that. But for pure blue, Rogue and Point Reyes are the questworthy cheeses.

Thereā€™s a place (I think in Quebec) that makes something called Dragonā€™s Breath blue. Thatā€™s awesome but almost impossible to source.

Yay!

I think you are gonna like it!

[cheers.gif]

My youngest brotherā€™s wife makes cheese in Maine: https://lakinsgorgescheese.com/
Her newest cheese, Rockweed, won an award at the Big E this year.

THIS. Red Hawk is my favorite cheese.

Just had some Kentucky Tomme from a producer in Indiana. Got it at Whole Foods. Outstanding!

Thereā€™s some kind of magic going on at Jasper Hill. Landaff is probably my favorite cheese from anywhere. Even the Cabot Clothbound Cheddar aged at Jasper Hill is fantastic. Everything Iā€™ve tried from there is great, but my favorite so far is the Landaff.

I agree that thereā€™s no clear ā€œbestā€. There are so many great cheese from this country, even for my very specific tastes (nothing even moderately funky). If I liked all cheese, I imagine the choices would be almost innumerable.

Iā€™m partial to anything from Jasper Hill.

They used to have a stand at Boston Public Market that sold raclette and grilled cheese sandwiches made with a combination of Landaff and Alpha Tomen.

Yes, Iā€™m still crying that it closed.

Two Rock Valley.
An incredible goat cheese from a farm a few miles west of Petaluma.