Best American cheese I have tasted.

Yes! We’ve been consuming a lot of their Sleeping Beauty lately.

Whole Foods has the Rush Creek Reserve, yet the cheese makers website lists 11/11 as the release date. Nonetheless, we enjoyed the RCR and a bit of Landaff.

Yes, I picked up RCR, along with the Rogue Blue, on Friday 11/1.

I was passing through Grand Central yesterday so I stopped by Murrays and picked up some Arethusa Blue (the only one they had available) to try. I’ll report back.

Cheese hunting was pretty good at my local Whole Foods recently. I came back with a quintet of never-tasted and thread-recommended American cheeses, including the newly crowned world champion Rogue River Blue. Although three of the cheeses were not quite “a point” – the Harbison, Red Hawk and Mt Tam – all were quality and delicious cheeses that even a French cheese-o-phile would give a favorable nod to. The Rogue River Blue was especially fine. Good stuff all around!
five cheeses.jpg

I tried the Rogue River Blue next to their normal Oregon Blue last night and preferred the normal, which will be good for my wallet since it is $15 less per pound. The River was fine, but had a little sweetness and a gamy edge that I don’t prefer.

We really love our local. IMO, the first NC cheese that was truly world-class. They’ve been making a splash for the last few years at all the cheese fairs. We keep a Rocket’s Robiola in our cheese “cellar” at all times.

This list is a bit out of date but gives a general overview.

https://boxcarrhandmadecheese.com/our-cheeses/

Looks like they’re getting more widely distributed too:

https://boxcarrhandmadecheese.com/where-to-buy/

The only downside thus far to the increased production has been that it’s harder to find the cheeses perfectly ripe. Hence, we like to have them for a week or two prior to cutting into them.

Red wine is generally terrible with cheese except for things like cheddar, Reggiano, Gouda or similar.

Another fine producer is Shepherd’s Way from Minnesota. It’s been a while since I’ve had any, but I have no reason to believe they aren’t as good as ever.

Picked up Harbison, Rush Reserve and Boxcar Rocket’s yesterday so I’ll settle this question once and for all when they reach ripeness.

It was very good but was served next to the Rogue River Blue which outclassed it.

I wanted a low-effort dinner, so this thread inspired me. Tonight’s dinner is cucumber salad, local Spitzenberg apples, the walnut loaf from Ken’s Artisan Bakery, and a cheese plate of: Rush Creek Reserve, Harbison, Rogue River Blue, Red Hawk, Cascadia Creamery Sawtooth, and Novak 7-year Wisconsin cheddar, all grabbed at Cheese Bar on Belmont. They told me they often have some cheddar from Hook’s, but not right now – so I went for the Novak as a backup.

Lots of fantastic cheeses here. Really couldn’t pick a favorite if I had to – they are all great at what they are. Probably the blue is really the highest quality of them, but it’s also not my favorite style. The plate is a bit heavy on soft cheeses, but the blue and the cheddar are both good changes of pace.

1 Like

Sounds excellent Lee.

Local Trader Joe’s carries Harbison around the holidays. Picked up two at $13 each which seems like a steal, though I can’t remember what I’ve recently paid elsewhere. Also have Langres for $7. Fridge is fairly packed with good cheese right now but will be hosting a Christmas party for 30+ people next week so I imagine it will all go quickly.

Yeah, $13 for the full Harbison does seem like a steal. I paid $9 for a half, which still seemed like a nice deal compared to $18 for half a Rush Creek Reserve.

Murray’s were offering the Rogue River Blue. Incredibly expensive, so only took a half pound. OMG. Utterly brilliant ; salt under control, blue smoothness and complexity.

Mt. Tam from Cowgirl and Wabash Cannonball (or other chevres) from Capriole in Indiana.

Two of my favorites. If you have an opportunity to try Capriole’s Flora, take it

Just tried the Tarentaise from Spring Brook Farm in Vermont. Raw cow, made in a gruyere style. Fantastic.

Mt. Tam - Cowgirl Creamery
Smoky Blue - Rogue Creamery
Wabash Cannonball - Capriole

when Jerry speaks about cheese, you better listen. His pores ooze fromage.

Fiscalini makes a lionza (spelling?)that kills in Mac and cheese or any melting