Best bottle you’ve ever received as a present?

Two half bottles of 1996 d’Yquem, a present from my brother when I finished my Ph.D.

On my wedding day in 1985 - still have the bottle -

NV Gibson White Port -

I’ve heard these age really well -

Probably the first bottle that started my cellar. It was a 21st birthday present from my parents. 1972 Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet, Leflaive. I’m guessing I drank it sometime around 1990. It was magnificent.

My wife bought me a bottle of Krug 165e for Father’s Day. :slight_smile:

For many of us, the best bottles are situation-based.
On our first trip to Burgundy in '01, as I planned I developed a great email/pen pal relationship with Anne Mongeard. Mongeard-Mugneret wines had hooked us on Burgundy so we hoped to visit. She welcomed us into the domaine, which was unexpected. After we tasted the full range of 99s, we presented her with a small token–a tiny Charleston sweetgrass basket filled with goodies. She excused herself and then returned to present us with a '94 Grand-Éch. Certainly not a great vintage in the eyes of many, but that bottle was pure magic for us, and represented one of my happiest travel memories.

2012 Clos St-jean Sanctus Sanctorum magnum, to welcome the birth of my son from a good friend

My wife has been given a bottle of Pahlmeyer proprietary red for the past 3 years and from another vendor this year she received a bottle of Krug and Lafon Meursault Charmes. Nice of her to share. For myself I received 2 sets of Riedel Somm series stems. I shattered one of the montrachets trying to hand wash it [oops.gif]

The one that comes to mind is 1970 Taylor’s…from Bob Wood. I still have the wine…

From a relative, some 1978 Lafite Rothschild (Christmas gift from my dad in the late ‘90s).

From other than relatives, a 1985 Lafite Rothschild & a 1985 Margaux (a “thank you gift” from a family friend/client in around 2004 or 2005).

Awesome story.

1996 Salon

Close the thread. We’re done here.

A year after we moved to Boise, some friends followed us here. For the first 3 months, they lived in our basement. They gave us a bottle of ‘96 La Tâche as a thank you gift.

1974 Latour from my staff at GE when leaving for another company. I was deeply touched.

1955 Comte de Vogüé Musigny

+1

THAT’S the bottle that closes this thread. In my 37 years of drinking Burgundy, it’s one of the three greatest red Burgundies I’ve ever drank. The other two were '49 and '62 La Tache.

I’d give you a case of 96 La Tâche if I didn’t have to live in your basement.

Best bottle was probably a 1994 Mouton Rothschild.

A board member gave me a bottle of 2014 Juge Cornas, but I had to do unspeakable things to earn that wine.

Oh no. Well, what happens in Orlando…ends up splashed all over the interwebs. Were you the “saddle” or stem?

Gonna go with stem?

This reminds me that it’s time for an avatar change.