Best Ice Cream You Can Buy in a Store

We love the Graeters Double Chocolate Chip flirtysmile

Graeters Black Raspberry Chocolate chip is a regular part of the rotation here. These days, we seem to be eating a lot more of Ben & Jerry’s Oat of this Swirled and S’more Please than anything else, currently

Next time you invite us over, I’ll bring you a pint.

We find the Graeters Black Raspberry Chocolate chip delicious, but the raspberry flavor doesn’t hold up well once your mouth is chilled after just two bites.

1 Like

He’s a wine guy too! He came to a dinner John Wocher threw in Chicago back in 99 or 00

We’re lucky to have Lakenham creamery in the city, who make ice-cream in more gelato style, rather than the fluffed up (soft scoop) commercial brands. A fine range of flavours, though we miss the sweet spice and nutmeg they stopped making about 5 years ago. Available from the creamery itself, but also some local supermarkets (e.g. Waitrose)

If I had to go for a nationally available brand, it would probably be GROM, which is the same company as the decent quality gelateria chain in Italy. Not as good as the better places in Italy, but a solid standard. Again in Waitrose.

Jenni’s from local WF on sale. I think it’s an Ohio product.

Yeah Columbus. I used to have a client there and I’d always get it when I was in town. Now it’s nationwide.

Ryan - check out Craft Creamery on Westheimer, they’ll scoop a pint of what they’re offering. I have not tried the brisket or cacio e pepe flavored ones, but the classic ice cream flavors were great.

I won’t claim it’s the best but I love B&J’s Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey.

I don’t get that with Graeter’s Black Raspberry when we take the time to temper the ice cream (chill bowls in fridge for 10-15 min, add ice cream, temper in fridge for another 15-20 min before eating).

Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Therapy and Talenti Roman Raspberry still work for me. A scoop of each with some (real) whipped cream is a nice combo.

In our neighborhood, you’re only allowed to eat directly from the container.

I figured this would be too regional to be really helpful, but it appears this Graeter’s is pretty well distributed. I’ve never had it and apparently I should.

Locally, we really like Lopez Island Creamery stuff. I think it’s now made in Anacortes, WA. It’s delicious stuff.

For me Thirfty’s Black Cherry.

McConnell’s Sea Salt and Cookies. I also support the Graeter’s recommendations.

. Which do you find better in Italy than Grom (say outside Florence), would love to try them.

Nancy knows what’a up. It’s Jeni’s:

My first job was at Graeter’s, but for those who know, Jeni’s takes the cake. If you like Ice Cream, Ohio is the place.

2 Likes

Hi Barry
Individual shops I’m afraid, so it’s a question of hunting them out in the city itself, though I do utilise the annual Golosario to help find candidates, but after a while you can spot useful pointers to quality, though I find it’s useful to have some benchmark flavours, that you have often enough to make it easier to see differences (for me liquirizia and limone). Seeing smurf coloured gelato or something fluffed up / decorated with bits is always a useful hint to pass such places by!

It’s not always about the quality / flavours. We loved going to the gelateria in Ghemme, as although I’d call it decent-good rather than excellent, the lady running it gave the impression of someone who had the best job in the world. Gelato should be a giver of joy, and she bought into that thinking.

That’s so funny, my daughter is more the ice cream connoisseur than me. Just found a couple containers of Jeni’s in the freezer… . and my 1st job was at an ice cream parlor as well.

Picked up a few Graeter’s at a nearby store and surprisingly found them somewhat disappointing. The dark chocolate brownie was a bit chalky, and not very intensely chocolate-y, and the s’mores was a bit watery. Neither seemed to have any ice-y texture indicating bad storage. I’ll have to try some other flavors.