Best Ice Cream You Can Buy in a Store

Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip

Yes, I haven’t had it in well over a decade but my recollection is that was the flavor to get.

Picked this up at Central Market because of this thread. It’s very good but not top tier for me. Flavor is good and texture is nice—and the dark chocolate chunks are great—but I’d still reach for Van Leeuwen every time.

Private Selection at Kroger family of stores. Great QPR at $2/pint on sale. Pistachio Honey, English Toffee Caramel, Southern Butter Pecan.

I’m also intrigued by all the Graeter’s recommendations. The ones I’ve had have been tasty, but I have found the chips/chunks to be kind of soft and fudgy, without the kind of crisp to the chocolate that adds texture. I wonder if the ones I’ve had have just been stored/shipped poorly.

These are probably representative. The chunks are large and thus seem to produce strong reactions. In my experience, 3 out of 4 folks or so seem to love them because they are larger than most and flavorful and about 1 out of 4 seem to hate them for reasons similar to what you describe. I’m in the love 'em camp.

1 Like

Mine is Talenti pistachio.

I used to like it but have found the quality decline substantial. The last time I bought one I threw half a container out rather than finish it.

1 Like

Talenti was a favorite of mine. But quality has dramatically declined since Unilever purchased them, back around 2014.

About 6 months ago I bought a pint of their vanilla (Talenti). It was disgusting. Having worked with Unilever I knew exactly what they did. Called the “product line” and said somebody is cost reducing the formula and failed. Gave me the party line about the best ingredients. I said talk with the Unilever labs and then give me their honest answer.
I have to give the fellow credit, he said the price of prime natural vanilla went up 12 fold and they had to do something or sell it at cost.

Conclusion, pass on Talenti, especially the vanilla unless you like burnt, smoky marshmallows.

Tom

1 Like

And before Unilever when they used Tahitian vanilla it was probably the best vanilla ice cream on the market.

Now I agree. Disgusting is the mot juste.

It was outstanding vanilla. Most people don’t realize that ice cream is one of the few products that does not exude aroma. Tahitian vanilla is so very floral that it actually gives aroma as well as flavor making it unique in the world of ice cream. Talenti vanilla ingredient statement says it all, beside the vanilla extract (Madagascar, not Tahitian) there is also “Natural Flavor”. Obviously a failed attempt to build back the qualities of Tahitian Vanilla.

Tom

I tried Oberweiss recently and am very impressed.

Great creaminess and standout flavor. Only downside is very limited flavor selection (at least locally). But if you’re in the mood for vanilla or chocolate it’s great.

I went to grad school in Cincinnati. Graeters is da bomb!
I first had Grom in Bergamo. Apples and oranges. Grom is great.

Nancy as in Nancy Silverton, the restaurateur.

I think you nailed it as I was trying to think about why I like the chocolate bits so much. That said I don’t think the actual ice cream is special.

Jenis is good (still too $ even after they lowered the price) but I think they are special because of their unique flavor combinations more than anything. We had a store here local that got sacked by or around the time of the listeria issue.

As far as local Ohio Mitchell’s is by far my go to. I don’t think it’s worth anyone ordering mail order but it’s great ice cream that I buy regularly passing up Graeters and Jenis in the freezer.

Every time I try a new brand at WholeFoods or Gelson’s or any of the fancier stores, I always think Häagen-Dazs has them beat. I always come back to them.

1 Like

If Vanilla is the standard, you might be right. On other flavors, they have not kept pace.

I used to really like their Rum Raisin but had not had it for many years. I was really disappointed when I revisited it recently. It was like Vanilla with a mild rum flavor and raisins.

1 Like

I am a long-time ice cream guy. Grew up on Graeter’s and United Dairy Farmers in Cincinnati. If one is out and about and the ice cream cravings commence Baskins and Robbins is a solid, everyday pleasure.

1 Like