Best Napa/ Sonoma Tasting Experience?

I’d like to be able to say this in a way that doesn’t cause offense, but not sure I can. Hall is the poster child for big, commercial Napa. Impressive monster facility, fancy tasting room, unremarkable wines from god knows what terroir. We were invited to join a couple we met who are in your position exactly. It was interesting to “experience” the place, but I would never go back, and I would encourage anyone looking for “real” experiences to look elsewhere. You can, and should, do better.

Given Keith’s experiences so far, and his criteria, I’d second Pride as a great tasting experience with epic views. Can also go back to Ridge, sit out on their deck, and enjoy the flight of Monte Bello.

Aside from wine, I’d suggest lunch at Auberge du Soleil on their outdoor deck.

1 Like

I concur, the views at Outpost and Pride are outstanding. Not sure what Outpost is like since the acquisition but previous tastings there have been memorable.

Napa-Chappellet
Sonoma-Arista

The drive to Chappellet is stunning. The setting for the winery is also serene. However, the tasting room and the tasting experience is just so so.
Not sure how someone can actually qualify it as “best”

Agree with the food and wine pairing at B Cellars being top notch, they put on a great, friendly experience for you. Can also test the full line of Beckstoffer vineyards. The view is not as good as somewhere like Chappallet. Was underwhelmed by Palmaz (tour was mostly about how amazing the family is with little about the wine) and Jarvis was unique but didn’t blow us away.

Regarding views from Howell Mountain, Robert Craig is also hard to beat; they tastnthere Thursday- sunday I believe, maybe through Saturday only. Barnett on Spring Mtn has great views also. For an absolute blast of a tasting, Anderson’s Conn Valley; Maynard is a great host.

Piling on to the Pride and Outpost love… The summit experience at Pride followed by a picnic at one of their tables is really nice. Fabulous views from those tables! And the folks at Outpost have always done a great job for us, and the views are indeed wonderful.

I posted a separate thread on this already but I found the Promontory tour just bada$$. $200 though. Reservations are required.

Thanks Jonathan, your post gave me the idea to look for greater experiences for our celebration!

Raymond has a bunch of cool rooms including a red room (that room may be for club members only I can’t recall)

Cliff Lede is great, rock n roll vibe

Hall has a cool facility and a bunch of Cabernets

Recommend R&D kitchen for lunch

V sattui good for snacks and picnics

Caymus is nice, particularly because they apply the tasting fee to purchases.

We love Duckhorn and Heitz as well (although I think the Heitz room is closed atm).

+1 for Diamond Creek. Very cool and personal tasting at an old school place. Also great views

Rivers Marie and Riverrain are surely great! I heard but did not do is contact 750 wines for a tasting of your style. Also heard Drinkward Pechon or Vine Hill Ranch might be good but have yet done. I also heard Bedrock is good.

Gravel Series tasting at Round Pond is great. TRB made juice from Rutherford and significantly cheaper than Schrader. They also do an olive oil tasting (made on site) which is fun and breaks up a day full of drinking. Outdoor/upstairs terrace has fantastic views.

Another vote for Continuum.
We’ve been on the list from the very beginning and have watch the evolution of the property (and the wine).
1st class all the way.

For Sonoma, has anyone ever been to Walter Hansel?

From what I’ve tasted of their wines [back here on the East Coast], they’re doing dynamite work.

The website looks quite beautiful, and they even have a bistro, with a wine list & a dessert list [and you could taste their wines next to wines from Gevrey or Chambolle or Puligny or Meursault or Corton Charlemagne].

Obviously I’ve never been there, but if I had the coin to drop on the experience, then I would be very very interested in going.

For Napa, Viader has the best view, and the most underrated misunderstood cab-based wine I’ve ever had because it’s all fruit on release so you think that’s the wine, nope, it needs more than ten years to show its stuff. So I’d call and ask when are they opening some older stuff. The 2007 might be just about ready. The 1991 last year blew everyone away at a high end magnum party with some ITB attendees. 1997 98 99 were very highly rated by Spectator, #2 in the world, #4 in the world, #22 in the world, and they are not my favorite vintages of Viader. The only critic who seems to understand the wines hide a lot beneath the initial rich upfront fruit is Tanzer. 2001 would have been awe inspiring (96 points in barrel) but they had to filter, as did Bryant that year, in both cases leading to the wine consultants’ departure, then 2002 is an outlier monster that I love, then the 2003 was mostly destroyed by the Mare Island arsonist , while 2000 and 2004 were weak Napa cab vintages across the valley for my palate, so the buzz about the winery lost oomph temporarily. In 2005 Alan took over more of the winemaking, too much oak for me that year, then by 2007 the wines have been as good or better than ever under Alan. I don’t follow Napa any more, I got afflicted with the Burgundyvirus.

When you’ve tried Viaders (like Mayas) with 15 plus years age, the ineffable one-third cab franc component becomes very addicting, and 100 percent cabs seem boring in comparison.

The 2007 Petit Verdot based “V” is for my palate a perfect wine, yet 90 points from one critic. If you like to evaluate young not-ready Bordeaux, as opposed to ready-on-release extraction, you’d enjoy a tasting. The Open Houses used to be the best event food and wine wise, maybe still are, find out if and when.

dana was certainly an interesting one for me a few years back.

Thank you all for the great suggestions! Really appreciate it, will post once the trip comes together.

In pursuit of non snobby wine location, we found mayo family winery in glen ellen. Probably the most engaging and friendly staff with lovely picnic benches in their courtyard. I strongly recommend picking up some food (maybe at cochon volant down the street — get the dry rubbed beef ribs) and then coming and enjoying your tasting in their courtyard - or pick up a bottle.

We got really annoyed by Napa and Sonoma wineries not letting you bring food but not serving food either. This was our go to place when we lived in Marin.