Best producers in Chambolle Musigny?

don’t forget Drouhin

To me there’s a massive drop off after Mugnier and Rounier; they’re just head and shoulders above the rest of the village. Mugneret-Gibourg’s Feuselottes is great, but they’re really a Vosne producer. Felettig’s 17s are very good, reminiscent of mugneret gibourg, actually. Drouhin is good as well. A shame so much of Musigny is owned by de Vogue.

1 Like

Agree that Roumier and Mugnier are clearly at the top.

Agree that Drouhin and Barthod make beautiful wines.

Clavelier’s Combe d’Orveaux VV is one of my personal favorite wines, period. I’ve also really liked Faiveley’s version. The ‘09 is gorgeous.

I drank recently a Lucie et Auguste Lignier Chambolle from a premier cru vineyard I’ve forgotten that was very good + and not wildly expensive. And it was a 2006, which was not an easy year.

Agree on the consensus of Roumier and Mugnier - their quality shows even at the village level. I love Barthod and that’s my largest holding of any Chambolle producer. I was impressed after visiting Amiot-Servelle but haven’t had huge numbers of their wines. Berthau has also been impressive.

De Vogue has never really spoken to me but I also haven’t chased the wines. There are of course lots of other products that make great Chambolle wines that are a relatively small part of their portfolio. I really like Cathiard’s Chambolle Clos de L’Orme and some of the Drouhin Chambolles.

I don’t really understand the significance of where their winery is. The vineyard is from Chambolle and the wine is great. Would you also not list their Ruchottes Chambertin as great because they are not from GC? How about Roumier’s RC. Does DRC’s Corton not count as a top Corton because they are located in VR?

I love Mugnier and Roumier wines but are people listing them at the top because that’s what people do? (It’s hard not put Amoureuses producers near the top given the potential / strength of the vineyard, and chastise them when they are perceived to fall short (thinking de Vogue) so there’s that.)

If we look at Premier Cru: Along with Amoureuses from Roumier, Mugnier, Drouhin, Amiot-Servelle, or Bertheau, I’ll personally take Mugneret-Gibourg Feusselottes over any other producers other Premier Crus including Roumier and Mugnier.

The question was about best producers IN Chambolle. Mugneret Gibourg isn’t in located in Chambolle, and their style is not, to me, a Chambolle style. I feel the same way about Huber Lignier, for example, whose MSD I love. (And, to an extent, Fourrier as well.) Robert made the same point above after your post about Dujac.

Also, I literally wrote that Mugneret-Gibourg’s Feuselottes is “great”. In the post you quoted! Why would I not list their Ruchottes as great even if it’s not from Vosne?

What a weird response. I’m going to ascribe our two latest interactions to you waking up on the wrong side of the bed and move on.

I think Mugnier is the best winemaker in Burgundy for reds, so I stand by my view. :slight_smile: And I drink so little Amoureuses that it’s definitely not what I base it on.

But I also think there’s a fairly wide range below those two - there are some producers people are listing as great whom I don’t like. [insert shrug emoji]

I hear you. And I corrected my post. I had meant to write Feusselottes, not just M-G alone, although it wasn’t incorrect originally either. :slight_smile:

I understood what you meant, and it wasn’t wrong. [cheers.gif]

I think outside of Amoureuses Mugnier’s Fuees is the bes 1er cru made in chambolle.

Also I’m resolved now when Covid ends (whenever that is), if not before, we will do a 1999 tasting. It’s finally time. I might have a few Chambolle to open from when I could afford it and didn’t have kids to feed and school.

I think we had a 99 Amoureuses (Drouhin??) at Racines in December. Or was that a Bonnes Mares? I recall it not being remotely ready for prime time. But sounds great - I’ve got a few 99s :slight_smile:

November. Bonnes Mares. Only one person could have brought it.

You have to squint:
D8B776EF-E377-4CD6-97FB-427A41583CFF.jpeg

Yeah, I remember it being super tight. I remember that Gonon though!

Not true, I had to miss that dinner. Jeff G. brought the 1990 Drouhin Bonnes Mares.

Lol. “Ah, yes, I remember it well.”

He asked permission before opening it at a dinner where I wouldn’t be present :slight_smile:

yeah, that’s pretty much what’s going on.

See correction above.