Best USA Cabernet under $60

I second the vote for Neal, also try and obtain Match…great Cab

I’ve never had the Hidden Ridge. I’ve seen it around at Total Wine, but just looked (based on absolutely nothing factual) overly modern Cali to me.

Smith-Madrone is no slouch

What do you mean by “best”? What kind of style are you looking for? Any regions or specific wines you’ve had in the past that you really enjoyed? With food or just to drink by itself?

I’m kind of surprised, John. Not much of a nebbiolo-lover’s cab. (BTW, spell check thinks that nebbiolo should be exobiology)

WA has much better value for high end Cab/Bordeaux blends and your $60 will go much further in my humble opinion:
Cadence (all of them, although they don’t make a 100% cab but rather Bordeaux blends. Whole lineup is worth seeking out)
Andrew Will (Ciel du Cheval, Champoux, Sorella. Blends. All can be found for ±$60 although the release price for both the Champoux and Sorella is higher. Stunning stuff)
Gramercy
Upchurch
Avennia Sestina & Gravura
Sheridan L’Orage
Mark Ryan Dead Horse
Long Shadows - Feather, Pirouette
Two Vintners Legit

If you are hell bent on CA - Ridge, Smith Madrone & Chappellet

+1 on Chappellet Signature and Ramey Napa. I actually think the Ramey Claret is the better value at $40 vs. $55 for the cab. Quilceda Creek’s Red is usually pretty decent in the $40-$50 range.

I was scrolling through the thread wondering if anyone had already said it. To me, this is true to the extent that it seems very obvious. I like several from this list, and I’ll add Boudreaux for those who want something closer to a CA style. Several (probably all) of these are so much better than anything CA has to offer in this price range that it’s silly.

+1 on Ridge Estate and Smith Madrone

Those are not Cabernets. The Ciel du Cheval tastes nothing like Cabernet and only the Sorella even contains a majority Cab in the blend.

Seems like your reading comprehension is strong. I clearly indicated that these wines were blends. While not 100% Cabernet, or for some years for the Ciel/Champoux any Cab at all, they are still are tremendous QPRs for domestic Bordeaux blends.

Looking at my inventory, I would have to say Lewelling is the pick of the litter under $60. I also note some of the recommendations above go beyond that price point. And, for $25 and available everywhere, the Robert Mondavi Napa is a heck of a buy.

Tons of great suggestions, most of my faves have already been recommended.

I’d also add Ehlers Estate onto the >$60 list, 2013 is super yummy and easier to find than some of the other recs.

Dehlinger Claret though might not be too easy to find.

Anderson’s Conn Valley Right Bank or Reserve but don’t know if that is under $60 anymore.

Very surprised nobody has mentioned Scherrer. Fred has a couple of Cabs that fit the criteria. For me nothing comes close to the quality and value.

Tom

FYI, just came from Gordon’s in Waltham and they have the Chappellet on sale for $56.

Daou. Their regular cabernet bottling sells for $25? or so and can be a great wine…it is well under $60 and drinks well. If you can get lucky and find the reserve cab it is still under $60 and a step up from the regular bottling. I see the regular Cab from Daou at many stores these days

Daou is Paso, No?

Yes Daou is paso. Have liked Justin’s reserve cab as well from paso.