Best USA Cabernet under $60

I’ve found the past few vintages of the daou to be raspberry syrup with vanilla extract. I am not sure what the OP is looking for, but I don’t think I would ever suggest the regular bottling of Daou .

From Washington, Abeja…

Powers Champoux

Unfortunately most good WA cabs are now over $60 MSRP… many sitting comfortably between $65 ans $75.
Gramercy Cellars’ cab would be the best contender for best WA cab under $60.
From CA, my vote goes to Chappellet.
Too bad Myriad sits at $65…

1 Like

You mean “thank God that Myriad is still around $65”.

I believe Mike’s Quivet Cellars Napa cab is still at $60.

Round Pond and Chappellet also get votes from me.

At the lower end (~$35), Provenance ‘Rutherford’ cab has been quite good in the few vintages I’ve tasted. Most recent I’ve had is the '13.

Just saw this thread and have to add: Ridge Estate

How about Quivet and Rivers-Marie?

I like Ehlers as well…and I haven’t seen Sequoia Grove mentioned, another option at +/- $40.

At the moment I love the Venge Silencieux in that price range.

JH

I like the Domaine Eden from Mount Eden more than the Ridge Estate, but both are excellent choices (it looks like you can find the Mount Eden Estate for a shade under $60 before shipping, that’s a great choice).

By far the best, but it will be hard to find, is the Ghostwriter Bates Ranch. This wine comes from the old Alghren parcel of diseased old vines. I don’t know how many years they will get access to the fruit, but I’m buying multiple cases. It is truly extraordinary wine, one a level much higher than its price, IMO.

Is this Scherrer Sonoma Valley Cab?

I don’t have the exact prices but these are pretty close. The quality to price ratio for all 3 is outstanding. Great when young with a long decant but ages very well for a long time.

Scherrer Sonoma Valley $30.00 - 35.00

Scherrer Alexander Valley $45.00 - 50.00 (Many places have this for $40.00 and under)

Scherrer Cab Scherrer Vineyard $55.00 - 60.00 (Available at around $55.00)

Tom

Their website is outdated and mentions nothing of a cab bottling. Just took a flyer on six anyway. Will report back

I agree with Neal Vineyards Cab $56 with significant case discount.

2014 Young Inglewood Venn is fantastic value at $50, I have it rated 95 on my wine instagram page (@chicago.wine.dude)

Also, rated the 2013 Cab from Rutherford Hill a 94, it had youthful dust at $46!

Nice thread - thanks for this! I’m always looking for values in great Cab, which are harder and harder to find. I enjoy most all of the recs so far, good values, considering, and consistent performers year to year. Ridge Estate, Chappellet, Sequoia Grove - completely solid.

For a more balanced but still fairly lively and enjoyable “go to”, I pretty reliably like and buy Coho Headwaters. I often find in the $30s. It won’t bowl you over with fruit or oak, but has enough character to make it worthwhile and I think it over-delivers.

I first found it while poking around K&L and stumbled on a 95 point review from Parker on a $29 wine, which I found interesting, and didn’t find terms in his description like hedonistic, unctuous or opulent. So for $29, not much more than that to lose… Glad I found it!

Seo - agree with Nathan that the Ghostwriter is a real treat and and great value for the price. Ghostwriter Chardonnay and Pinot are also enjoyable. Hard to find but worth the effort.

Bates Ranch is a historic vineyard in the Santa Cruz mountains and several other producers have made age worthy wine from the grapes.

My favorite local wine shop had it on the shelf and I was very happy with their recommendation.

I would add the regular bottlings of Keenan, Berringer, Mondavi, L Martini and Sebastini in good years. Second the recommendation for Neal and would add Guilliams to the list.

Some good ones mentioned here. I’d like to add a few under $60 Cabs that I enjoy on a regular basis that aren’t too hard to source.

Honig
Flora Springs
Terra Valentine Spring Mountain
Peter Franus
Adaptation