Best Value Langhe Nebbiolo under $25 [Poll Added]

Yeah, I jumped in at that price…

Ruche and Freisa are two different indigenous Piedmont red grapes. I didn’t know that they were blended. Both are fairly rare compared to Nebbiolo, Barbera, and Dolcetto. It looks like Freisa is genetically related to Nebbiolo. Actually, both are most commonly in the Monferrato region which neighbors the Langhe.

Looking at this again, I don’t know how it can be a good value if I don’t prefer it for the price range. It can’t be good value if I don’t like it. How else would it be a good choice? Auction value? [tease.gif]

Anyway, I just looked at Wine Searcher for Langhe Nebbiolo and their are pretty damn slim pickings for under $20. If I had to choose one off of that list based on producer (wine untasted), it would be Brezza Nebbiolo Langhe or Paitin Nebbiolo Starda Langhe.

Trick question. Burlotto Langhe Nebbiolo for $25.99. The 18 is the best wine I’ve had for that money and the 19 will be available for the same price.

I could be wrong but I thought Ruche was the place, I am happy to take clarification.
EDIT
I guess it is both, hence my confusion.

Huh? What makes you think it’s a place. If you’re confused by the DOCG/appellation name, “Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato” refers to the grape ruché grown around the village of Castagnole Monferrato.

1 Like

Ruche, Freisa, Barbera and Dolcetto are not even close substitutes for Nebbiolo. They can have their own threads.

Fudging a bit for current prices, I’d take the Vajra, but in the current market, better than decent Barbarescos are showing up at less than $30.
For me, paying less for a nearly generic Nebbiolo is equivalent to paying ~$25 for a Montalcino Rosso when there are far superior Chianti Classico wines at the same price.

1 Like

Do you know how many times I have to explain to people that Vino Nobile de Montepulciano is not cheap because it’s not the Montepulciano from Abruzzo?

[training.gif]

[thankyou.gif]

I think some may have missed this.

Vajra Langhe Rosso

Renato Ratti Langhe
La Ca Nova Langhe
Trediberri Langhe
F. Rinaldi Nebbiolo d’alba

Burlotto
Giacomo Fenocchio

Cavalotto

Albino Rocca Rosso di Rocca
Sordo Nebbiolo d’Alba

My Ruche recommendation was more in line with the “other” ideas, rather than following the Nebbiolo requirement. Berserker drift!

De Forville is 20ish, and doesn’t suck.

Not that you asked, but speaking as a dedicated bottom feeder I think limiting yourself to Langhe Nebbiolo at this price point is a mistake. There are other regions in Piedmont (e.g. Ghemme) that would probably serve as a better entry point for exploring the variety. If you’re interested in learning about Langhe terroir and producers on the cheap, you’re better off going with Barbera as was pointed out above.

1 Like

Keep ‘em comin’! I’ll add a poll soon with all the suggestions.

Sottimano may have crept up to $21 but it’s my annual go-to, and can age as well.

Jonathan

Vietti Perbacco is typically the same price as PRoduttori in my market, albeit at a bit more than $20. I agree with Jonathan on Sottimano - the 2019 is out now and it is quite good.