Best Value Langhe Nebbiolo under $25 [Poll Added]

This is a blend of up to six local varietals.

Where I live, this wine is $33.

A direct substitute? No. But for $20, I believe you can get a better quality wine (value, pleasure, whatever) made of Barbera or Dolcetto than you can made out of Nebbiolo.

I think this theme of finding cheap Nebbiolo Langhe has been explored in another thread (and heavily beaten by Otto). I have a wine budget like everyone else and need daily drinkers, but I miss the point of saving a fairly small amount of money to drink sub-par wine. Paying a up a bit (as you suggested for entry Barbaresco) seems a far better use of one’s money.

Cascina Saria Langhe Nebbiolo ‘La Riddolina’: I’ve only had one vintage of it (2011), but a large number of bottles (CT says 28, but I think 3-4 were given away), as it became our ‘house nebbiolo’. It was still shining at 8 years old, at which point our source finally ran out. £10 a bottle, so well under the $20 limit.

Cascina Ballarin: Less bottles drunk, but a wider range of vintages. Each time, the relationship to their Barolo wines was clear. Genuinely a mini Barolo. On occasions it’s also had a hint of white truffle about it (as also sometimes seen in the Barolo wines). Not sure how/why, but IMO that’s very welcome complexity

Honourable mention for Cavallotto, which I’m sure would breach the $20 mark, but they appear to care more strongly about their cheaper wines than most other prestigious wineries. Their Vigna Scot Dolcetto remains my favourite example of a grape that has disappointed surprisingly often, but no disappointment in their version.

I was going to say, that was outstanding in '16. Their Barbarescos are very attractively priced, too. The estate seems underappreciated generally.

I agree on all things Cavallotto - they make a fantastic barbera as well. The langhe nebbiolo is around $30 in my market, but if you ever find it closer to the $20 mark I wouldn’t hesitate to snap it up at quantity. It undergoes a similar vinification process as their excellent Barolos, albeit with shorter time in wood. If I remember correctly, it still sees 12 mo+ in large slavonian oak.

1 Like

That’s true and all — but in the context of the parent thread, I think it’s a fantastic choice for a bottom-feeder wine from the region, even if it’s a blend and not 100% Nebbiolo.

I agree completely. But for some reason, the OP is looking for “value” Nebbiolo. As I’ve said, there are tons of great wines from the region if it needn’t be just Nebbiolo.

In case someone is for “value” Nebbiolo from Alto Piedmont.

2016 Cantalupo Agamium (Nebbiolo)
Made by arguably the foremost Ghemme producer. As I understand it this is 100% Nebbiolo/100% declassified Ghemme fruit. Beautiful ruby red with barely any hint of orange on the rim. Cherry and strawberry red fruit nose with a bit of spiciness and mint. I don’t get any big anise, tar, leather notes that are typical of Langhe nebbiolo. Nice silkiness on the palate with soft tannins. Mouthwatering juiciness on the fruit and very well balanced acidity. A surprising bit of black pepper on the finish. Fun to drink by itself, but also very food friendly. A very good deal at around $20.

Haven’t had this, but love their Collis Breclamae.

Another great option at $20 is Columbera & Garella Costa della Sesia, which has a bit of the rose and cherry notes you often see in Langhe nebb.

I haven’t had the '16s, but these are often terrific. I didn’t realize it was all produced within Ghemme, but it looks like that’s right, based on the importer’s website. Agamiam was the Latin name for Ghemme.

Hey Lee,

Seeing that you are Portland, Liner and Elsen has it for $22. And I have loved the Costa della Sesia that I’ve had, but they have that nice percentage of other local grapes. The whole is greater than the parts?

If you like Freisa, Ruche, and Grignolino, this is your place:

2 Likes

Wow! Wine geek heaven! Have you had any of his wines?

If you’re looking for a wine with more traditional Nebbiolo typicity I’d say Produttori. For sheer enjoyment, I’d say Vajra.

Yep, the distributor I used to work for used to carry them when I was there. The Grignolino, Ruche and Freisa are all delicious, at least used to be…I haven’t tried them in a couple of vintages, but I’m guessing they haven’t changed. I haven’t tried the Ruche Chinato (which sounds amazing), or the Chard, as those are newer additions, but the others are all really nice wines.

There are also a few newer producers in the portfolio, but if you love Piedmont wines this is a really good source, yet they get little hype. Cieck makes the best Erbaluces you will find (the Spumante is really good), Negro’s top Arneis might also be the best I’ve tried, and Glicine and Luigi Giordano are underrated sources of Barbaresco that are still reasonably priced. They also carry Oddero in many markets, but not OR. The Cantina Gattinara, Presziosa, Poggio, and Roccheviberti are all more recent additions, so I’m not familiar with those, although I’m drinking the Cantina Gattinara Vino Rosso as I type this, and it’s fruity, slurpable and yet lightly earthy for under $20. Weston is very passionate about the wines of Piemonte, and you’ve got to respect a guy who only sells wine from there.

Thanks for the tip Marshall! Vinopolis has the La Miraja Freisa and Grignolino. I’ll definitely check them out. And I visited Glicine years ago. I really liked their Barbaresco. [berserker.gif]

2nd day update: Crazy evolution. The red fruit is now all dark fruit and forest floor, and there is definite anise. Gotta love Nebbiolo! This is a seriously good wine.

Thanks for all the opinions. As this is related to a thread about major wine regions, I’ll stick to Langhe Nebbiolo. If anyone wants to start an Alto Piedmonte thread go ahead. Or continue to discuss here.

I’m putting up a poll of LNs in a few moments.

Probably too late and not sure of US price point but Massolino can be lovely

Sorry Kent, if I add your suggestion all the votes cast already will be deleted and, in my experience, those people may well not re-vote. I do like Massolino, though! Definitely under 25 bucks here.

How much in Aussie Pesos?