Best winery visits for 'mountain fruit' in/near Napa and Sonoma?

Todd, we were is a similar situation a couple years ago. Went with Pride on one side the the valley, and Chappellet on the other side. We weren’t disappointed. The drives alone are worth it.

Bigger style wines but balanced. Fruit used to go to Barnett. Same winemaker as somerston. I liked both the 2012 and 2013.

The family of a good friend of mine, fellow Berserker Scott Nelson, has a boutique winery called H.L.R. Cellars located on the Napa/Sonoma county line, about a mile away from Diamond Mountain. Scott recently moved from Chicago to St. Helena. Scott brought a couple of wines to a recent dinner and it seems that they make expressive Bordeaux blends from estate fruit at a fair price point. I think they would be worth checking out and I’m sure if you PM’d Scott he’d be happy to provide you with more info.

Fisher, on the back side of Spring Mountain, is a great visit. Beautiful property, nice people, and very good wines.

Chappellet and Continuum

Fisher is really underrated. The Wedding Vineyard makes some lovely, ageable wines.

Absolutely.

+1 on Keenan - nice mountain Zin

Crap. Have too many Napa mountain spots, not enough Sonoma - I need more time!

Fisher is officially in Sonoma.

Yep. If their winery was on the other side of the border, they’d be twice as much money.

You could easily do Fisher - HLR - Chateau Montelena in a straight shot.

H.L.R. Cellars is also in Sonoma County. It’s in the same AVA as Fisher.

Yeah, and pretty far north - I’m trying to stay a bit closer to town, as we drive (and fly) back that evening

There’s a wine bulletin board that has a special thread on planning a trip to Sonoma. I forget the name of it but maybe it would help

Korbin Kameron in Sonoma (mostly) is making very good, nuanced wine from Bordeaux varieties. They have a tasting room in Glen Ellen.

I’m going to Nine Suns on Prichard Hill next Friday and will report back. I hear they are making some killer juice. I’m a big fan of Spring Mountain Elivette, so on that mountain there where I’d go, unless the budget will allow for Lokoya. I think Stonestreet Winery in Healdsburg is also a great call. Their single vineyard mountain cabs are great QPR, especially the 2013s which are being offered right now.

Stony Hill, Mayamcamas, Forman, togni, to name several in Napa.

For Sonoma, just go to Ridge and drink their Cabs. Mountain frui, just not Sonoma County fruit

+1 on Kamen. Vineyard tasting is an unforgettable experience. Leave plenty of time.

There’s a tiny operation in Sonoma’s Mountain AVA run by Mr Phil Coturri and his son, Sam. I really enjoyed the Grenache from Winery Sixteen 600, but they also bottle a Syrah, a Cabernet Sauvignon, and a GSM-style red called “L’Hommage a’ Galet”. Available only at the tasting room are a Viognier, a “Val Rossi” red, and a couple of other wines.

val_and_vio_1.JPG

Also on Spring Montain are Barnett and Sarocka. Further north on diamond mountain is The Vineyardist especially if you like big Mark Herold cabs.