Best wines since the beginning of 2019

For me 1999 Maurice Ecard Narbantons, with strong competition from 2002 Pierre Peters Chetillons and 1990 Verset

Ah yes, depth in every dimension. I clearly need to up the dimension count in the wines I’ve been drinking. Why yesterday I was in the store and they were only selling 3 dimensional wines

This was my epiphany wine in November 1997. When I tried to find it, the 1996 had already been released, and I couldn’t source it. (No wine-searcher and few wine-store sites back then!)

I would bring a very very nice bottle to dinner if you want to open one in NYC. :grinning:

These are mostly due to the generosity of others, some of them WBers, and Rieslingfeier although there’s nothing old yet. I could probably do a Riesling only Top Ten just because of all the different style differences (and because 2005 Muller Scharzhofberger Auslese and 2017 Keller Pettenthal GG (Auction) didn’t quite make my list):

1990 Latour
2001 E. Rouget Vosne-Romanee Les Beaumonts
1990 Foreau Moelleux Reserve
1989 Huet Le Mont Moelleux 1er Trie
2017 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusburg Kabinett Alte Reben (AP 8) and Spatlese (AP 14)
2013 Hirtzberger Singerriedel Smaragd
2017 Selbach-Oster Rotlay (Auslese)
2010 Keller Abts Erde
NV (2012) Benoit Lahaye Violaine

DOTY: 2013 Olivier Horiot Rosé de Riceys “En Valingrains”

Ultramarine 2014 BdN
2008 Dom
2008 Lambrays

Ha yeah I could see how this was an epiphany wine although I’m sure it is unrecognizable now as it has really evolved. Blind, I would never even venture to guess suav blanc. This was intensely aromatic and mouth-coating with acacia honey, faintly-grassy white florals, spicy ginger, pineapple gummy bears, crisp golden apples, cloves and a solid mineral backbone with this lightening strike of acid that comes out of nowhere. It was palate staining and yet so light on its feet it was if it wasn’t even there but kept washing back over the palate in layers on the finish. It was undoubtedly tantalizing. Unfortunately I have none to share with you as this was shared with me by a very generous friend.

2014 Jamsheed Syrah Harem Series La Syrah - Australia, Victoria, Port Phillip, Yarra Valley (3/15/2019)
Day 1: Good acidity and vibrant flavors. Rustic with raspberries, floral, underbrush and spice. Nice balanced effort and no off elements to this wine. Medium plus finish. 91 points
Day 2: Again good acidity. Rustic wine featuring floral, raspberries, boysenberries, underbrush, twigs and spice. Medium plus finish and rock solid again. 91 points
Day 3: Wow getting some Northern Rhone funk, spice, underbrush, raspberries and minerals. Medium plus finish and picks up some white pepper. Good acidity. Did this sky rocket up the point scale. 93 to 95.
Recommendation: Hold this until 2022. Had I not save this for 2 plus days I would have never got the evolution. Outstanding value for only $11 on my 3 Day Wine Review email blast. Only one smart wine drinker took advantage of this deals as I was happy to pick up the remaining bottles. (93 points)

Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero 2012 : 18,5/20
Another great nebbiolo produced by Fabio Alessandria.

Drunk in the Serria de Gredos vineyard (Maranones) :
Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rayas red 2006 : 18,5/19

Drunk at the domain :
Sierra de Gredos Comando-G Las Umbrias 2018 : 18/20
A wonderful solar but fresh grenache.

Love that wine.

‘98 Jamet Côte Rotie opened over the weekend, doubt there are better wines in Northern Rhône for that vintage.

1995 Dom P2 over the weekend was outstanding and probably the best wine I’ve had in 2019.

Other contenders:
2013 Alzinger Riesling Steinertal
2002 Bruno Clair Gevrey 1er ‘Cazetiers’
1986 Rausan-Segla
2015 Henri Germain Meursault 1er ‘Charmes’
2011 Liger-Belair Vosne 1er ‘Chaumees’

Have had it many times. Better to my taste are at least: Chave; Verset; Allemand Reynards; Clape. (Including all but Verset side by side with the Jamet.)

I have had it 3 times in the last 12 months and I just don’t get the hype. It’s a nice wine, but I keep expecting to be blown away and end up being underwhelmed each time.
I think Jamet is just one of those producers I don’t “get”.

I have had two excellent bottles of the 1998 Jamet over the last 2 years. Was a hit.

I’ve had some lovely Jamet too, of late. Chave is probably my favorite N Rhone, though.

2015 Clos de la Marechale is up there on my list, along with some of the others. Also that 62 H. Debost Hermitage we had is up there as well.

Seems like those 375s of 62 Cote Rotie and Hermitage would be right in Alfert’s sweet spot. Apparently there’s a ton of 64 there as well in both 375 and 750.

2010 Montrachet Domaine Petitjean. Painfully young but brilliant potential. Awesome but nigh on impossible to find.

1976 Jurancon Clos Joliette. A magical vintage from this almost mythical domaine. One of the World’s great sweet wines.

1990 Clos St Denis VV Ponsot. Still on the young side but remarkable complexity and balance. Outshone LT ‘90.

I hope to add some 1959s to the list over the next few weeks due to a friend’s impending 60th Birthday celebrations…

1991 Penfolds Grange - full of life, no bricking, full of fruit, the nose went on forever. This could have gone another 15 years easily.

Joliette is a myth, with extraordinary dry, semi-sweet and sweet wines (acidity, mango, truffle … and such a persistance).
http://www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr/index.php/degustations-thematiques/verticales-domaine/223-20020916-verticale-clos-joliette-jurancon

Shhh !

Two new stars in Spain :
Ribera del Duero Dominio del Aguila Canta la Perdiz 2015 (tempranillo) : 18/20
Jumilla Casa Castillo Pie Franco 2016 (monastrell) : 18/20